Is this okay to give my dehydrated chicken?

No worry, we've all been in your shoes. What I have learned is that almost all sick birds will be mildly hypothermic (too), so that must be corrected first. I do that by bringing them inside and placing them in a room or cage that is 80-85 degrees. Again, almost all sick birds wild be dehydrated and will need fluids. Fluids can be given orally with a tube.

Can she hold her head up?
She can hold her head up and will when I hold her, but she's obviously very weak and seems sleepy, When I have her out holding her and giving food and water, she seems alert enough; she just doesn't take it readily without me putting it in the front of her beak. When I do that, she swallows willingly.

She can hold her head up and will when I hold her, but she's obviously very weak and seems sleepy, When I have her out holding her and giving food and water, she seems alert enough; she just doesn't take it readily without me putting it in the front of her beak. When I do that, she swallows willingly.
She needs to come inside.
I would have already brought her in, but I have two inside dogs, and I was scared even if they didn't get to her that their barking would stress her out way too much.
Can you put her in a bathroom with a space heater?

Calm down, she can feel your stress, then she’ll get upset too. Try to breath...well get you through this. My little guy couldn’t eat on his own for 4weeks..,but doing great now!! This does work!
I'm going to try to calm down. Your help and kind words are very appreciated. It's just that she's my favorite, and while skittish at times, has always been my sweetest and would come cuddle with me (on her terms, of course), so I really want to give her every chance possible.

She needs to come inside.

Can you put her in a bathroom with a space heater?
I don't have a space heater but could get one if I needed to. I was just scared about bringing her in because of the dogs and her stress levels, her adjusting from the cold to the warmth, and then also reintroducing her later if she survives. I did try to add warm throw blankets and whatever I could outside, but if you think she won't survive otherwise, I'll find a way to bring her inside.

I don't have a space heater but could get one if I needed to. I was just scared about bringing her in because of the dogs and her stress levels, her adjusting from the cold to the warmth, and then also reintroducing her later if she survives. I did try to add warm throw blankets and whatever I could outside, but if you think she won't survive otherwise, I'll find a way to bring her inside.
Worry about reintroducing later. Right now the most important thing is to get her warm. Once warm, you can give fluids. Once hydrated, you can give food. Think about what a hospital would do if they admitted you for an unknown illnes, hypothermia, and dehydration. What would they do first?

I'm going to try to calm down. Your help and kind words are very appreciated. It's just that she's my favorite, and while skittish at times, has always been my sweetest and would come cuddle with me (on her terms, of course), so I really want to give her every chance possible.
I know what you mean, my Little Lou, who was hurt and I tube fed, was always the runt, always my favorite, I always wanted him to have everything that that the others could do...broke my heart when he couldn’t keep up. Now he’ll never keep up, because I couldn’t go to the vet, and the leg didn’t heal right. I have a farm...with 100’s of animals...I can’t take them to the vet each time they got hurt...I did when we started and it cost $600 for a rabbit. So, that was that. But Lou does great...he loves the goats so he lays with their bedding most days...:)

Back
Top Bottom