Is this something I should be suspicious of?

thumb_large_popup_2093.jpg

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, but these are salmon faverolle chicks. Birds with feathered legs have them from hatch. Same with beards and muffs. Plus, OP's bird is clearly something red based, not salmon. I'm sorry but if your birds look like the OP, you definitely don't have Faverolles. Don't take my word for it, a simple google image search will tell you. Okay, hi-jack off....
not at that age they don't as I have raised them and have 5 now
OP--I agree, you're right to be suspicious. I have to say I'm just not positive on this one. Those huge legs sure look male, but I'd expect to see more comb at this age. Maybe post again in 2 weeks or so and see how things are developing? Of course, if at any time it starts crowing, there's your answer
wink.png

It's just hard to tell with that ad. I have to respectfully disagree with Fred, we do have folks in my AO that take in birds like this and keep them until said natural deaths, although probably sans rose petals
roll.png
We have a lot of "animal rights" types who manage to get a little land and love to just "rescue" animals. About 2 years ago I gave 10 aged hens and a rooster to a lady like that, she just wanted them for yard ornaments, etc. It's 2 years later and she's only down 2 birds, and she's still just happy as pie with them. I'm sure a lot depends on your area......

thumb_large_popup_2093.jpg

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, but these are salmon faverolle chicks. Birds with feathered legs have them from hatch. Same with beards and muffs. Plus, OP's bird is clearly something red based, not salmon. I'm sorry but if your birds look like the OP, you definitely don't have Faverolles. Don't take my word for it, a simple google image search will tell you. Okay, hi-jack off....
OP--I agree, you're right to be suspicious. I have to say I'm just not positive on this one. Those huge legs sure look male, but I'd expect to see more comb at this age. Maybe post again in 2 weeks or so and see how things are developing? Of course, if at any time it starts crowing, there's your answer
wink.png

It's just hard to tell with that ad. I have to respectfully disagree with Fred, we do have folks in my AO that take in birds like this and keep them until said natural deaths, although probably sans rose petals
roll.png
We have a lot of "animal rights" types who manage to get a little land and love to just "rescue" animals. About 2 years ago I gave 10 aged hens and a rooster to a lady like that, she just wanted them for yard ornaments, etc. It's 2 years later and she's only down 2 birds, and she's still just happy as pie with them. I'm sure a lot depends on your area......

well at one day old they do look a lot like that but not after a week and chage a lot...I have Had favs 3 times ....and the looks have always had miner differences in color...right now I have 3 that are light looking and 2 that look like eagles...darker more like mahogany favouralles....but in any batch you get this...from hatcheries they are not show birds...but at the end they look good...how many fav's have you raised?? just wondering if you actually seen them grow.. my point was the ops pic look very much like my birds and the ones I have had...but a lot of birds share looks when young and those pics don't have the feathered legs or didn't see 5 toes..just the coloring is same...I have 5 RIRs right now and mine are deep mahogany and no yellow head.....jeff

Last edited:
@Fred's Hens Lol Yes I get ya. I was not expecting it to be a dream end really. I expect him (if that is the case) to get ate by someone and that is fine, I was mostly worried about him getting sold off for cock fighting or some equally worse fate. Though I know from that ad there is no way to predict that not happening. I am being a wimpy newbie really I get that. Sigh. I just wish the sexers did a better job here.
I can tell you these were way more red than those yellow chicks pictured. I will wait a bit more time I guess and hope it settles down and stops picking on the others. I know it is still a bit young but I really do not want to put the others in danger for a possible roo that will not be staying.

Last edited:
Donrae, you're right about "some" folks taking in all kinds of birds out of love and care, but realistically, most people shouldn't count on that too much. I seldom bother to post on those myriad of threads where someone is both trying to get rid of their own unwanted "roo" (sic) but insists it be bedded in rose pedals and not eaten, EVER!!.
lau.gif

It just doesn't work out that way very often. But then, I'm not really into unicorns and rainbows. Shocking, I know.

Oh, I'm with you on the " I need a forever home with green pastures for all the little roosters I want to hatch out but can't keep myself and won't ever, ever eat or let anyone else eat......stop hatching? Why would you suggest such a thing?"folks. Fortunatly, that's not what we're dealing with here!

Skating on the finge of things we're not supposed to talk about here, but my understanding is folks who are serious about their ilegal activities with birds wouldn't touch "farm birds" with a ten foot pole, for any purpose except maybe butchering to eat. They have no place for hatchery/dual purpose roosters in thier activities. So, rehoming roosters shouldn't be that scary if you're okat with the dinner concept.

Allow me to offer my sexing technique.

I lay the sport section of the news paper on one side of the brooder and the shoe sale section on the others. All the chicks that go to the sports section side are roos and all the chicks that go to the shoe sale section are girls.
lau.gif

Unless of course they go to the Red Sox article then their toast.
lau.gif

Go NY Yankees!

Allow me to offer my sexing technique.

I lay the sport section of the news paper on one side of the brooder and the shoe sale section on the others. All the chicks that go to the sports section side are roos and all the chicks that go to the shoe sale section are girls.
lau.gif

Unless of course they go to the Red Sox article then their toast.
lau.gif

Go NY Yankees!
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

I'd throw your sexing off, though....I don't like sports and I'm mysteriously missing the genes for shoes, handbages, pretty much all accessories.

Back
Top Bottom