Is this sufficient? Last chance to change air flow (easily anyway)...

Panhandler80

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
NW Florida
Hope to get doors / windows / trim up this weekend, as well as black jack interior and get my metal roof on. What do you all think about the airflow and ventilation with this. Floor is roughly 8 x 8. Goal is max of 15 chickens. Total square feet of hardware cloth is about 35 square feet. 11 of that comes in the form of vents in between rafters. On the predominant wind side in the summer, the roof continues to incline, so the gaps between rafters will actually act as a scoop in the summer. In the winter (at least when it's rarely cold), however, it will be shielded by the house from NE to NW winds and will act only as a vent.
1583513070298.png
IMG_20200229_102940223_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200229_122624680_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200229_121121334_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200229_114552684_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200229_154904156_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200229_154540136_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes... Pretty serious error in my calculation. The area in between b rafters actually much less. How far out the eve travels is really irrelevant with the exception of the scoop effect in summer. As far as venting it's only 18 in by the height of a two by four between each one.

I think I'll put some holes at the bottom of the "back" wall. There will be virtually no wind hitting that side and it would allow some fresh air to come in from very bottom as she vents.

Looks pretty good! I love seeing this amount of ventilation in a coop. In a warm climate like yours drafts are of minimal concern so mainly you just want to make sure that rain won't get driven in through any of the openings. Some hinged covers for the window could help buffer that if needed.

If you're concerned about rain possibly getting into floor height vents due to distance from roof overhang protection, put louvered covers over them.

Will your chickens be free ranging or have a run at all? I have 12 birds in a similar sized coop, and I wish we had made it a bit larger (you mentioned you may get up to 15 birds)...we have hard winters here (MN) and it gets a little tight, especially if you have some bossy birds! However, where you are, if they have lots of opportunity to get out, I would think they'd be just fine!

Will your chickens be free ranging or have a run at all? I have 12 birds in a similar sized coop, and I wish we had made it a bit larger (you mentioned you may get up to 15 birds)...we have hard winters here (MN) and it gets a little tight, especially if you have some bossy birds! However, where you are, if they have lots of opportunity to get out, I would think they'd be just fine!

Plan is about a 400 square foot run, and to have it partially covered and 100% hardware clothed... apron, walls and top. I think space will be fine. The coop is also in a somewhat urban setting with a fenced in yard. Raccoons and possum be the most likely concern, but it's not a real big one any more with all of the trees we lost in the storm. Hardly ever see the poor guys any more. Hope to leave coop door open once it's all said and done. I know you all warn against it, but I may give it a shot. Time will tell. Will definitely see if we get any digging or other signs of attempted entry before going that route. I have zero concern of predation come day light. Way too much activity to worry much about that.

Looks pretty good! I love seeing this amount of ventilation in a coop. In a warm climate like yours drafts are of minimal concern so mainly you just want to make sure that rain won't get driven in through any of the openings. Some hinged covers for the window could help buffer that if needed.

If you're concerned about rain possibly getting into floor height vents due to distance from roof overhang protection, put louvered covers over them.

Windows will have hinged doors left at angle for most weather with their own extended roof line. As far as the new bottom one goes... there's a fence 3.5' behind them, and a roof eve of about 12". It would take a serious damn storm to get any kind of rain in there. They are really there for suction for early evenings when birds are inside making heat and the air outside has cooled. If it flows out the top, might as well grab some air from the bottom. Might actually make some floor level vents on the two sides (on protected by fence, and other by my house).

More ventilation won't hurt, but it's pretty nice as it is!
Insulating the roof would help with summer sun, so consider doing that. Heat is tougher than cold!
Never discount predation!!!
Hawks will try for birds if you are present or not, and then your flock will be locked into their safe coop, and run for two or more weeks. Many predators are more active at night, true, but don't count on it.
I do love your coop!
Mary

More ventilation won't hurt, but it's pretty nice as it is!
Insulating the roof would help with summer sun, so consider doing that. Heat is tougher than cold!
Never discount predation!!!
Hawks will try for birds if you are present or not, and then your flock will be locked into their safe coop, and run for two or more weeks. Many predators are more active at night, true, but don't count on it.
I do love your coop!
Mary
Yeah, hawks are prolific, and see eagles and pretty regularly on the bayou as well. Had some great horn owls that staged in a remaining tree in yard every evening too when we first moved in back in May. They stopped staging there as things got more active. Can't imagine a bird of prey getting a chicken from the run, though?

Back
Top Bottom