Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Hey, you weren't here
thats-a-fair-point-special-agent-scott-forrester.gif

Speaking of doing heimlich maneuver

When the boy was very little he went though a phase of putting coins in his mouth. Very bad, for several reasons. One day he had one, looked at me, and just as I started to say "don't put that in your mouth" he gave me that cheeky grin and popped it in his mouth. Immediately it got stuck in his throat. I grabbed him to do the baby heimlich, which involves putting them upside down over your lap and gently hitting them on the back. Thankfully as soon as I inverted him the coin popped out. It was a terrifying enough experience that he never put another coin (or similar object to my recollection) in his mouth.

Absolutely an essential skill everyone should know. I'd taken cpr/first aid years before. I researched baby heimlich on my own after he was born. And thank heavens I had, because no one else in my family or my ex's would have known what to do. And doubly thank heavens it happened when the boy was with me.

Speaking of doing heimlich maneuver

When the boy was very little he went though a phase of putting coins in his mouth. Very bad, for several reasons. One day he had one, looked at me, and just as I started to say "don't put that in your mouth" he gave me that cheeky grin and popped it in his mouth. Immediately it got stuck in his throat. I grabbed him to do the baby heimlich, which involves putting them upside down over your lap and gently hitting them on the back. Thankfully as soon as I inverted him the coin popped out. It was a terrifying enough experience that he never put another coin (or similar object to my recollection) in his mouth.

Absolutely an essential skill everyone should know. I'd taken cpr/first aid years before. I researched baby heimlich on my own after he was born. And thank heavens I had, because no one else in my family or my ex's would have known what to do. And doubly thank heavens it happened when the boy was with me.
I took one of those new parent classes before my kids were born. The infant and toddler CPR and Heimlich were part of it. I never had to use thankfully. But, my gosh, I have gotten so many things out of my kids mouth when they were little. I think every rock in the yard went in their mouth at some point. My daughter tried to eat a lizard a couple times and really came close to getting it all the way down once before I was able to get hold of it and wrestle it back out of her mouth. I don’t think her mama has gotten over that until this day. Makes you wonder what they got away with swallowing when you blinked.
But, yes CPR for adults and kids is a must know.

Back
Top Bottom