Pics
I'm so sorry but this made me laugh a little "you're not hatching eggs now, little lady! :jumpy" My goodness... it does sound like she's having broody behaviors! Good thing you kicked her outta there. Might have to keep a close watch on her these next few days for more of that behavior
yup kinda shocked me with her! I figured maybe my Cochins but was not expecting her at all since everything says they "may" go broody but they normally don't at all. She didn't fight too bad getting off of it and did lay today so guess I see. Hopefully she is just trying to figure everything out still and she won't go full broody! LOL I don't need anyone broody until next year around March or April. LOL

but yup I had a full blown convo with her listing the reasons she was NOT hatching eggs right now. haahaa Good thing noone else was out there with me. :)

yup kinda shocked me with her! I figured maybe my Cochins but was not expecting her at all since everything says they "may" go broody but they normally don't at all. She didn't fight too bad getting off of it and did lay today so guess I see. Hopefully she is just trying to figure everything out still and she won't go full broody! LOL I don't need anyone broody until next year around March or April. LOL

but yup I had a full blown convo with her listing the reasons she was NOT hatching eggs right now. haahaa Good thing noone else was out there with me. :)
That's so strange. Perhaps it was a one-off!

A while back I was reading and learning about broody behaviors.... someone posted that their silkie pullet went broody before she even started to lay :hmm

That's so strange. Perhaps it was a one-off!
so far she hasn't been back in yet today and didn't go back last night so fingers crossed! Guess I see what she does when she goes in to lay her egg today....

But exciting news, well kinda.... Got a camera notification so looked at it and Annabelle was jumping out of the nest box, so looked at the one before that since it records a small section of it, and she had just jumped in then right out..... BUT she stayed in the coop wandering around and went in the nest box a few times and stood there for a bit before getting out. She was in there for about 25 min or so. That is the most interest she has shown in the boxes besides sleeping in them. haahaa. So maybe getting closer? I still haven't really seen Marshmallow in there much even though her pelvic bones are further apart compared to Annabelles. LOL

so far she hasn't been back in yet today and didn't go back last night so fingers crossed! Guess I see what she does when she goes in to lay her egg today....

But exciting news, well kinda.... Got a camera notification so looked at it and Annabelle was jumping out of the nest box, so looked at the one before that since it records a small section of it, and she had just jumped in then right out..... BUT she stayed in the coop wandering around and went in the nest box a few times and stood there for a bit before getting out. She was in there for about 25 min or so. That is the most interest she has shown in the boxes besides sleeping in them. haahaa. So maybe getting closer? I still haven't really seen Marshmallow in there much even though her pelvic bones are further apart compared to Annabelles. LOL
ANNABELLE'S GONNA DO IT!!!! she's searching for the right spot! Blackie did this for a couple days and then layed that egg, so excited for you!

ANNABELLE'S GONNA DO IT!!!! she's searching for the right spot! Blackie did this for a couple days and then layed that egg, so excited for you!
I sure hope it is soon! I can't wait to have a new layer! Hummer was Aug 29th for her first egg (2nd was a full week later so was like a "new" first again. LOL), Nugget was Sept 12th for her first. so it has been a while since I have had that excitement of a new first egg. :)

I sure hope it is soon! I can't wait to have a new layer! Hummer was Aug 29th for her first egg (2nd was a full week later so was like a "new" first again. LOL), Nugget was Sept 12th for her first. so it has been a while since I have had that excitement of a new first egg. :)
I bet it will be within a week! I will have to have the new egg excitement with you... I dont expect any of my girls to lay for another couple of weeks at least :confused: I just went out and threw some scratch for them and most of them were happy about it... so that's a start. They still don't want be near them, but that's okay. I've got vitamin/probiotic mixed into their water right now too so hopefully they will all get to feeling better soon. At least I know now why Nugget had stopped laying...

I bet it will be within a week! I will have to have the new egg excitement with you... I dont expect any of my girls to lay for another couple of weeks at least :confused: I just went out and threw some scratch for them and most of them were happy about it... so that's a start. They still don't want be near them, but that's okay. I've got vitamin/probiotic mixed into their water right now too so hopefully they will all get to feeling better soon. At least I know now why Nugget had stopped laying...
glad they at least were happy when you threw the scratch. hopefully the rest won't hold a grudge for long and they will all get to feeling back to normal soon! Mites are one of my biggest fears!

so far today I got NO eggs! I am shocked since Hummer normally does 6 in a row then a day off and Nugget has been doing 7 in a row the last 2 weeks. Hummer has only laid 3 in a row as she didn't lay Mon. and Nugget took off Tue so only 2 in a row!!!! even before Nugget (from day 1) has laid 3 in a row, then a day off then 1, day off then 1... so only 2 then another day off is odd. and I must say that now I am freaking out! LOL

My nugget shakes her head often but after you said it I noticed her doing it (well I noticed it more, not that she was doing it more) and had me questioning it. But she has always been a spaz and shakes her head. LOL so sure just me worrying and overthinking.

glad they at least were happy when you threw the scratch. hopefully the rest won't hold a grudge for long and they will all get to feeling back to normal soon! Mites are one of my biggest fears!

so far today I got NO eggs! I am shocked since Hummer normally does 6 in a row then a day off and Nugget has been doing 7 in a row the last 2 weeks. Hummer has only laid 3 in a row as she didn't lay Mon. and Nugget took off Tue so only 2 in a row!!!! even before Nugget (from day 1) has laid 3 in a row, then a day off then 1, day off then 1... so only 2 then another day off is odd. and I must say that now I am freaking out! LOL

My nugget shakes her head often but after you said it I noticed her doing it (well I noticed it more, not that she was doing it more) and had me questioning it. But she has always been a spaz and shakes her head. LOL so sure just me worrying and overthinking.
They are probably just taking a break to throw you off of your expectations :lau

I couldn't believe my girls got mites. I keep everything so clean and they are always dust bathing, etc... but the head shaking and Nugget stopping her laying got me thinking.This is how Nugget was doing... not CONSTANTLY, but very very frequently.

20211007_163245.gif

Also this is what Nugget's comb looked like. I thought it was just dirt or something, but now I know it was actually tiny little scabs from mites blood-sucking her 😭 I never SAW them on her... sigh. I'm killing them real good right now, haha.

20211007_160242.jpg

Zoingo, Speedy and Moon all laid this morning before 9am... it seems they are starting to figure out their cycle. It is funny to see them... today they laid eggs in turns and waited for everyone to be done to leave!

Here are today's eggs and a repurposed spice rack for keeping freshies off of the counter :wee

View attachment 2843136View attachment 2843137
Awesome wrack for holding the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom