She laid again today and it was quite a bit bigger than yesterday's! It is slightly larger than the "large" store eggs I still have! I was expecting her to take some time off... but she got very frantic this afternoon pacing around and then ran into the coop, hopped in a nest box and BAM! (posting this just as much for myself to look back on) :love

Attachments

• 20210907_153648.jpg
    20210907_153648.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 22
I want to do this but I am so scared of destroying it... what was the process like for you? Any tips?
You need to poke a hole through the shell at both ends. It needs to be about a scant 1/16" in diameter. Straighten out a paper clip, stick it into the shell, and "scramble" the egg contents inside.

If you have a tiny drill bit, that might help make the holes.

Then, pucker up, and BLOW through the hole on one end to try to get the egg out. I finally had to put a straw over the hole and blow through that, because I couldn't seal off the hole with my lips.

It took a while, but I got it. I filled it with water a few times to try to rinse it, then let it dry.

She laid again today and it was quite a bit bigger than yesterday's! It is slightly larger than the "large" store eggs I still have! I was expecting her to take some time off... but she got very frantic this afternoon pacing around and then ran into the coop, hopped in a nest box and BAM! (posting this just as much for myself to look back on) :love
Very nice! :)

You need to poke a hole through the shell at both ends. It needs to be about a scant 1/16" in diameter. Straighten out a paper clip, stick it into the shell, and "scramble" the egg contents inside.

If you have a tiny drill bit, that might help make the holes.

Then, pucker up, and BLOW through the hole on one end to try to get the egg out. I finally had to put a straw over the hole and blow through that, because I couldn't seal off the hole with my lips.

It took a while, but I got it. I filled it with water a few times to try to rinse it, then let it dry.
You are awesome! This was a great explanation... I now have one clean, empty egg! Thank you so much :hugs

wow she laid her 2nd one quick! I got my first egg from my EE on Sun the 29th and she didn't lay again until exactly a week later on Sun the 5th! it was a LONG week waiting for an egg (and of course we were away for labor day weekend so I couldn't even collect her 2nd egg!). Then she laid her 3rd egg on Tue, and today I got the 4th egg from her! so seems after that week break she is laying them pretty quick now.

wow she laid her 2nd one quick! I got my first egg from my EE on Sun the 29th and she didn't lay again until exactly a week later on Sun the 5th! it was a LONG week waiting for an egg (and of course we were away for labor day weekend so I couldn't even collect her 2nd egg!). Then she laid her 3rd egg on Tue, and today I got the 4th egg from her! so seems after that week break she is laying them pretty quick now.
Awww, what a good girl you have! I'm still not-so-patiently waiting for my EEs to start laying. Do you have pics of her eggs? I love seeing the color variations they have. I was also surprised when Zoingo laid her first in 2 days... however, she did take a break today. We will see how long until she gives it another go 🙂

Here are 3 of her eggs. They are an extremely pale blue that look white depending on the lighting. She was 20 weeks when she laid her first, well a couple days over 20 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_120653329_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210908_120653329_HDR.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210829_170947046.jpg
    IMG_20210829_170947046.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1688.jpg
    1688.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom