Pics
It happened... AGAIN!

At 19 weeks and 6 days old, Moon, one of our EE's... laid her first egg! I was NOT expecting her to lay before our other EE because she had no separation, wasn't as red in the comb, no interest in going in the coop during the day/nest box inspection, etc... but she had other plans! Today she (out of nowhere) became very fussy and made her own impromptu nest in the coop. I spied on her like a total creep thru the Arlo camera... and 30 minutes later, out came a lovely blue-ish/teal egg! Here is the lovely lady and her pretty, tiny first egg 🥰 View attachment 2834181View attachment 2834182View attachment 2834183View attachment 2834186View attachment 2834184
And for size reference... her egg next to Zoingo's egg from this morning!
View attachment 2834185
:clap yaaay, Moon!

We have another member of the egg-spress train!

Meet "Speedy": lovingly named because she was impossible to capture as a youngster. She is a RIR x SLW. She is Zoingo's BFF and emphatic egg-song performer...

This morning, at exactly 20 weeks old, Speedster hopped into the nest box *with* Zoingo, where she laid her first egg in unison with her bestie. They proceeded to sing a duet and dance together in celebration.

Here is Miss Speedy! Also pictured is her tiny pink egg next to Zoingo's egg today, along with the trio of first eggs collected so far :love

20210916_081532.jpg 20210916_081615.jpg 20210916_072337.jpg 20210916_072408.jpg

We have another member of the egg-spress train!

Meet "Speedy": lovingly named because she was impossible to capture as a youngster. She is a RIR x SLW. She is Zoingo's BFF and emphatic egg-song performer...

This morning, at exactly 20 weeks old, Speedster hopped into the nest box *with* Zoingo, where she laid her first egg in unison with her bestie. They proceeded to sing a duet and dance together in celebration.

Here is Miss Speedy! Also pictured is her tiny pink egg next to Zoingo's egg today, along with the trio of first eggs collected so far :love

View attachment 2835077View attachment 2835078View attachment 2835079View attachment 2835080
such a pretty egg! and so cute they laid together and then sang together!!!!!!! Love the 3 different colors!

And wow Zoingo's eggs look really big!!!! Both of my girls are still laying medium eggs I would guess. Thy are smaller than store bought large eggs. Think that is how mine will stay.

I got 2 eggs today. 1 from Nugget and 1 from Hummer. :) It is funny since everyone talks about them fighting over the same box and it does seem each day if they both lay it is in the same box (different times) but Hummer has laid in all 3 of my boxes so far (does pick 2 out of the 3 more) and Nugget has laid in 2 of them. One has a bit of a gap and that is the least chosen one so wondering if that is why. I just got stuff to fill the gap in need to install that and see if that helps.

Will hopefully see if my roosting theory is right in the next 3 days since my Cochin started roosting 11 days ago and my other 2 started roosting around 12-14 days before they laid their first egg. LOL

such a pretty egg! and so cute they laid together and then sang together!!!!!!! Love the 3 different colors!

And wow Zoingo's eggs look really big!!!! Both of my girls are still laying medium eggs I would guess. Thy are smaller than store bought large eggs. Think that is how mine will stay.

I got 2 eggs today. 1 from Nugget and 1 from Hummer. :) It is funny since everyone talks about them fighting over the same box and it does seem each day if they both lay it is in the same box (different times) but Hummer has laid in all 3 of my boxes so far (does pick 2 out of the 3 more) and Nugget has laid in 2 of them. One has a bit of a gap and that is the least chosen one so wondering if that is why. I just got stuff to fill the gap in need to install that and see if that helps.

Will hopefully see if my roosting theory is right in the next 3 days since my Cochin started roosting 11 days ago and my other 2 started roosting around 12-14 days before they laid their first egg. LOL
Will you post a pic of Nugget & Hummers eggs for today if you get a chance? I really like the light pastel-y color. Your eggs might still get bigger... some people here said a good month to 6 weeks for new layers to get evened out. Zoingo has been laying slightly bigger each day. The eggs pictured below start at like 45g and yesterday+today were both 60.(with the exception of whatever is inside her monster egg from 9/13...gotta be double yolker...it is 80g weight🤦🏼‍♀️ poor girl)
20210916_125159.jpg
That is Speedy's baby egg in the back. So far no egg today from Moon, so maybe she will take a break before egg #2 😊

Also just for laughs... Speedy's teeny egg next to Zoingo's monster egg!
20210916_125236.jpg

The nest box situation is definitely funny. They all seem to think the top right box is "just right". Even the girls that haven't laid yet... still go inspect and think that one is the best to scratch around in. Silly chickens.

I have also been wondering if they don't like gaps! My bottom nest boxes have a 2 inch gap at the top because I made the "wall panels" so that they could be removed... but maybe that's why none of the girls like them.... . . . Interesting... . . .

Fingers crossed for cochin eggs soon!

Last edited:
Will you post a pic of Nugget & Hummers eggs for today if you get a chance? I really like the light pastel-y color. Your eggs might still get bigger... some people here said a good month to 6 weeks for new layers to get evened out. Zoingo has been laying slightly bigger each day. The eggs pictured below start at like 45g and yesterday+today were both 60.(with the exception of whatever is inside her monster egg from 9/13...gotta be double yolker...it is 80g weight🤦🏼‍♀️ poor girl)
View attachment 2835301
That is Speedy's baby egg in the back. So far no egg today from Moon, so maybe she will take a break before egg #2 😊

Also just for laughs... Speedy's teeny egg next to Zoingo's monster egg!
View attachment 2835302

The nest box situation is definitely funny. They all seem to think the top right box is "just right". Even the girls that haven't laid yet... still go inspect and think that one is the best to scratch around in. Silly chickens.

I have also been wondering if they don't like gaps! My bottom nest boxes have a 2 inch gap at the top because I made the "wall panels" so that they could be removed... but maybe that's why none of the girls like them.... . . . Interesting... . . .

Fingers crossed for cochin eggs soon!
I should weigh my eggs. I haven't yet. that egg is HUGE! my guess is double, triple or maybe an egg in an egg but those are normally REALLY massive!

I will post a pic of their eggs. I need to get a pic of Hummers egg from today but have one of Nuggets. :) I think I read that SF and EE lay medium eggs so not sure if they will get a little bigger or not. Hummers just seem to change shape somedays more rounded others more pointy and long. LOL

Back
Top Bottom