Pics
I'm excited for Annabelle, and I've never met her! Lol! Checking the pelvic bones can be a little tricky at first, but once you find their location it's way easier to find again easily. My BCM surprise-squatted for me today (I thought she'd be another 2+ months before laying...) but I scooped her up and checked... and she has 2 finger separation! These girls really do whatever they want I guess :idunno
WOOHOO on your BCM. Can't wait to hear when she lays her first egg and see the pic of it! None of my girls squat for me but read that if you have a roo sometimes they don't. even Nugget and Hummer don't squat for me and they are laying. so I can't use that trick. LOL

My mom named Annabelle (after a chicken her dad had that was his favorite since she was so sweet, but his was a buff Brahma which Annabelle was going to be since I ordered 2 buff brahma but then those didn't come in so I had to pick 2 other ones so got Annabelle who is a buff cochin, and Rosie, that my grand daughter named who is a light Brahma) and my Annabelle sure lives up to the sweet nature of her name sake. :) She is REALLY hard to check for pelvic bones since she is a cochin and EXTREMELY fluffy back there! hard to find much of anything in all that fluff! LOL

Zoingo, Speedy and Moon all laid this morning before 9am... it seems they are starting to figure out their cycle. It is funny to see them... today they laid eggs in turns and waited for everyone to be done to leave!

Here are today's eggs and a repurposed spice rack for keeping freshies off of the counter :wee

View attachment 2843136View attachment 2843137
too funny how they all waited. Mine refuse to go in together even to the coop at the same time! LOL but Hummer mostly lays EARLY am and Nugget seems to be around 9-10ish that she heads in I think it is. Hummer was every 26 hrs so she added 2 hrs each day she laid but last week she seemed to stick with early am most days. But nice when they get into a "pattern" of when they lay. Hummer seems to be 6 days in a row then a day off (but now thinking she laid Mon-Sun and took Mon off so 7 eggs in a row last week) not sure on Nugget since last week was her first week and she laid Sun, Tue, Thurs, Fri, Sat then took Sun off and has laid Mon, Tue, Wed this week....

WOOHOO on your BCM. Can't wait to hear when she lays her first egg and see the pic of it! None of my girls squat for me but read that if you have a roo sometimes they don't. even Nugget and Hummer don't squat for me and they are laying. so I can't use that trick. LOL

My mom named Annabelle (after a chicken her dad had that was his favorite since she was so sweet, but his was a buff Brahma which Annabelle was going to be since I ordered 2 buff brahma but then those didn't come in so I had to pick 2 other ones so got Annabelle who is a buff cochin, and Rosie, that my grand daughter named who is a light Brahma) and my Annabelle sure lives up to the sweet nature of her name sake. :) She is REALLY hard to check for pelvic bones since she is a cochin and EXTREMELY fluffy back there! hard to find much of anything in all that fluff! LOL
I love that Annabelle is such a sweetheart namesake! What a wonderful story :love

I dont have any roos... so that definitely explains their crazy squatting! Sometimes it's actually absurd... I open the door to go into their run... they all have run over to the door already... I try to step in and *squat*...*squat squat squat squat squat!* it's like a roadblock of squatting chickens and I have to be careful not to step on them 🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm excited to see the BCM's egg, too! Supposedly it will be a really dark brown... we shall see... ! ....eventually...! Haha

too funny how they all waited. Mine refuse to go in together even to the coop at the same time! LOL but Hummer mostly lays EARLY am and Nugget seems to be around 9-10ish that she heads in I think it is. Hummer was every 26 hrs so she added 2 hrs each day she laid but last week she seemed to stick with early am most days. But nice when they get into a "pattern" of when they lay. Hummer seems to be 6 days in a row then a day off (but now thinking she laid Mon-Sun and took Mon off so 7 eggs in a row last week) not sure on Nugget since last week was her first week and she laid Sun, Tue, Thurs, Fri, Sat then took Sun off and has laid Mon, Tue, Wed this week....
7 eggs in a row, holy moly. She is trying to show off her egg skills! Go Hummer!!

I love that Annabelle is such a sweetheart namesake! What a wonderful story :love

I dont have any roos... so that definitely explains their crazy squatting! Sometimes it's actually absurd... I open the door to go into their run... they all have run over to the door already... I try to step in and *squat*...*squat squat squat squat squat!* it's like a roadblock of squatting chickens and I have to be careful not to step on them 🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm excited to see the BCM's egg, too! Supposedly it will be a really dark brown... we shall see... ! ....eventually...! Haha
LOL all of mine just tuck their butts and run or walk away when I touch them!!!!! But my roo now really only shows interest in Hummer and Nugget. Before anyone was laying he was trying with all and they would FREAK out! Now Hummer and nugget just squat and submit. He doesn't even try that often with them, which is good so he doesn't do any damage or anything with pulling feathers out etc.

yes I have seen those deep dark brown BCM eggs! hope yours are like that.

7 eggs in a row, holy moly. She is trying to show off her egg skills! Go Hummer!!
ya she shocks me since I expected 4 a week from her. the first "full" week I got 6, think it was Sun, nothing mon then Tue-Sat with Sun off, then I am almost pos last week she laid Mon-Sun and then took this mon off. So who knows what she will do this week.

so guess I see what Nugget does and if she lays tomorrow or takes a break or what. haahaa!

got an egg from Hummer today 41g we are getting bigger. LOL and none from Nugget but she went in to lay her ghost egg as always. Funny the days Hummer skips I don't see her in the box at all, but Nugget still goes in like clockwork for her 45-60 min. LOL

Annabelle was in the coop checking out the boxes today. so maybe starting to get close? She still hasn't gone in the box that I have seen on camera.

got an egg from Hummer today 41g we are getting bigger. LOL and none from Nugget but she went in to lay her ghost egg as always. Funny the days Hummer skips I don't see her in the box at all, but Nugget still goes in like clockwork for her 45-60 min. LOL

Annabelle was in the coop checking out the boxes today. so maybe starting to get close? She still hasn't gone in the box that I have seen on camera.
Hummer is an egg-laying beast!

The ghost eggs drive me bananas. Rushing out there for no reason :barnie it is a little funny though. Moon made a ghost egg a couple of hours ago, but now she is back in the box... perhaps she will join Zoingo + Speedy and lay today, after all!

...or maybe she will lay another ghost egg and laugh at me with all of the other chickens.

No ghost egg this time! Moon just laid this lovely (almost large-store-size) egg, and abruptly sprinted out of the coop, as per protocol :lau
20210923_140302.jpg Chakin Coop Egg Spy_20210923_135730_1.gif

No ghost egg this time! Moon just laid this lovely (almost large-store-size) egg, and abruptly sprinted out of the coop, as per protocol :lau
View attachment 2843917View attachment 2843918
wow nice! can't wait to hear what it weighs! and soooo pretty!!

I just love how once they are done they bomb on out. Mine do it. They sit there forever (even Nugget when she does her ghost eggs) then once done they get up and run as fast as they can out of the coop. LOL

Back
Top Bottom