That's wonderful! And fortunate - remember how we were having doubts about shipping in winter to begin with? It could've been a 0% hatch rate and I'd be all "Well, now we know better".

View attachment 2967976

I'm hanging out with the parents, aunties, and uncles, thinking it's cool that they have family halfway across the country. :)
I know!!! In the beginning I was scared none of them would be good from winter shipping... then once they were developing I was scared of them all tragically quitting... then at lockdown I was scared of them not being able to hatch right... and now I'm just obsessed with watching their little selves waddling about and being precious.

Your flock is so beautiful! I can't wait to see these babies grow up. I really am so grateful :hugs

What were the results of the beak sexing, and how are you telling them apart? Leg bands or ???
We are gonna pretend I never said anything...

Jk. It's just that 7 babies have a dark bill (male) and only one(Egg#11) has the "girl bill" LOL...

When they started hatching and I was looking at all of the "boy bills" I was like... YA WELL ITS PROBABLY LESS THAN 75% ACCURATE ANYWAY.... :lau

I will band the one with the "girl bill" to see how they all turn out!

Today, at 18 weeks and 4 days... our lovely girl, Zoingo, laid her first egg!!! (She is either a Production Blue or Blue Rock, we don't really know).

This is the first egg of our flock, but several others look to be getting close! Zoingo has been squatting for about 2 weeks and pelvic separation has been there for about a week.

Here is the lovely girl having a dust bath and our first little egg! (The white eggs are fake ceramic ones)

View attachment 2824505View attachment 2824507View attachment 2824509
Congrats!!! We got our first today too 😄

awwwwwwwwww so sweet!!!!!! We found a duckling years ago (well a friend did and brought it to us) they waited for hours for a mom to come back and noone ever did so he brought it to us. We named him Boz/Bozwell. He was just the cutest little thing and would follow us everywhere. running around after us. He had a sad tragic ending but OMG we loved him so much!!!!! I loved walking all over and having him waddling along right behind. LOL
Aww, he seemed like a sweet duck! What happened to him?

@junior67 happy birthday to your daughter!! I hope you guys have the most wonderful day today celebrating!

I'm watching for the other 3 welshies to hatch. They are still preparing and absorbing yolk... except #2 is zipping!

The 5 that hatched last night were getting quite rambunctious in the incubator and had fluffed out nicely... so I quickly opened the top and scooped them out. They are about the cutest little things I've ever seen.

View attachment 2967674

I put them in their baby brooder and they went to work investigating everything. I showed each one the food and water as I placed them in. I thought I had cut the holes in their ducky-water-jug small enough for them to put their heads in only... but they climb right in and dunk their heads. I thought I was going to teach them about getting into water in like a week, but they are having a grand 'ole time in there already LOL

View attachment 2967675
View attachment 2967724View attachment 2967725
they are sooooo cute!! How many do you have so far?

@junior67 happy birthday to your daughter!! I hope you guys have the most wonderful day today celebrating!

I'm watching for the other 3 welshies to hatch. They are still preparing and absorbing yolk... except #2 is zipping!

The 5 that hatched last night were getting quite rambunctious in the incubator and had fluffed out nicely... so I quickly opened the top and scooped them out. They are about the cutest little things I've ever seen.

View attachment 2967674

I put them in their baby brooder and they went to work investigating everything. I showed each one the food and water as I placed them in. I thought I had cut the holes in their ducky-water-jug small enough for them to put their heads in only... but they climb right in and dunk their heads. I thought I was going to teach them about getting into water in like a week, but they are having a grand 'ole time in there already LOL

View attachment 2967675
View attachment 2967724View attachment 2967725
I want ducks so bad. But i will be gettings some baby chicks soon.

Back
Top Bottom