#%$*!$-it....my ONE silkie that made it to 21 days...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    ...by day 23 had pipped the aircell but not the egg. I put a TINY hole in the egg in the aircell area and waited another 24 hours. Still nothing. No peeping but I could see it's beak move a bit. Waited another 24 hours and figured something was wrong. I went ahead and hatched the chick and sure enough, the umbilical cord had wrapped around it's leg TWICE. I think it must have had some brain damage due to decreased circulation.

I don't normally hatch silkies...these are for my daughter's grandma. This silkie had a HUGE vaulted skull. Could that have been part of the problem too? When I first started hatching it, I thought it had a tumor in place of it's eye!! Sad...

But I have some more eggs in the bator on day 15 so we'll have others soon. [​IMG]

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Awwww!! Well, people say there is a reason some do not hatch... I guess for yours, you know why..
    Good luck on the rest, gator!!
    Hugs
    Christina

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

Did you happen to get any pics ??

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    No, I didn't get pics...but I should have so I could post them for folks to see. [​IMG]

Are their vaulted skulls always so prominent??

5. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    I'm not so sure about that question, but I'm really sorry about your chick. [​IMG]

I wish you luck with the rest of the eggs, and keep us posted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by