Janoel 12 humidity to high 70% - help

Whiteewolf

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2018
Hi everybody,
I know there is alot of other posts about the janoel 12 but i haven't really found much helpful advise...
I am currently running it at 37.5 (but it fluctuates madly during day to evening and can get down to 37.1 and up to 37.9, it is in a temperature stable part of the house).
I have followed all the instructions and added 200ml warm water but the humidity is still far to high my thermometers are reading 70% humidity(I am hatching courtinix quail).
I really don't want my hatch to turn out like last time (9/16 fertile eggs hatched) and unfortunately I don't have enough money to buy a proper incubator.
Is there any settings I can adjust to help lower humidity ?

Hi everybody,
I know there is alot of other posts about the janoel 12 but i haven't really found much helpful advise...
I am currently running it at 37.5 (but it fluctuates madly during day to evening and can get down to 37.1 and up to 37.9, it is in a temperature stable part of the house).
I have followed all the instructions and added 200ml warm water but the humidity is still far to high my thermometers are reading 70% humidity(I am hatching courtinix quail).
I really don't want my hatch to turn out like last time (9/16 fertile eggs hatched) and unfortunately I don't have enough money to buy a proper incubator.
Is there any settings I can adjust to help lower humidity ?
Try not adding so much water, instead of 200ml cut it in half 100ml or as much as needed to get in the range of 40 to 45% RH.
The temperature part is the hardest part to get stable, I don't have a Janoel so I'm not much help with the temp, maybe some of the peeps that do will chime in and be able to advise you on the temp.

Last edited:
Incubator instructions are not always very accurate. Try adding less water or if there is a way to decrease the amount of surface area your water reaches. Like in my little giant I have 5 water channels. I fill only 2 while incubating. Sorry I’m not familiar with your incubator and couldn’t be more help.

Hi there, I have a Janoel 12 and pretty good hatch rates from it. What I do in order to regulate the humidity is place a small sponge at the bottom of the incubator and add 1/2 to 1 tsp of water to it on a daily basis. That tends to keep humidity constant and you can experiment with the amount of water you add, depending on the humidity levels you are trying to achieve. I hand-turn the eggs so I find it easy to keep an eye on humidity and temperature. I only remove the sponge during lockdown and add water normally. Re: the temperature, I've never had problems with temperature fluctuations. What I do is wrap the lower part of the incubator (where the eggs are) with a small blanket. That helps it to keep the temperature constant. Do not wrap the whole incubator in a blanket because it will overheat. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I used the Janoel 12 for my first hatch. 6 out of 7 hatched, so pretty good results.

I did a dry incubation. It didn’t go over 24% which was fine, and it created very good air cells. Although, I don’t know about doing it with quail eggs.

You should invest in a thermometer and hygrometer, and make sure they are accurate. The digital display is horribly inaccurate.

Good luck!

I used the Janoel 12 for my first hatch. 6 out of 7 hatched, so pretty good results.

I did a dry incubation. It didn’t go over 24% which was fine, and it created very good air cells. Although, I don’t know about doing it with quail eggs.

You should invest in a thermometer and hygrometer, and make sure they are accurate. The digital display is horribly inaccurate.

Good luck!

Don't suppose you could recommend a thermometer you think is good?

Don't suppose you could recommend a thermometer you think is good?

Well, I am a perfectionist with occasional ocd tendencies LOL. It turns out that well calibrated is difficult to find. So... I have a glass “people” thermometer that accurately took my temp. I throw it in and check it every few days. I at least know the max temp the incubator hit the last few days. I have a small digital, and a bigger digital, that do both temp and humidity. From testing I know the temp is only off by 1degree from the incubator. The humidity is within 5%, so I just take an avg.

While using the Janoel I taped one of the little ones to the tray, then in lockdown I kept 1 of them on each side of the eggs. The Janoel can vary a lot, I found it best to stay on the low side for temps.

These are the thermometers/hygrometers I bought:

AcuRite 02067M Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0AGWAC/?tag=backy-20

Veanic 4-Pack Mini Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNMKYCZ/?tag=backy-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2NQ4W5/?tag=backy-20

Btw during lockdown sponges dried out to quickly. I used a small was cloth. I also used a tube and syringe to get hot water in without needing to open the incubator.
What kind of tube do you use? I've been having trouble all lock down with mine keeping the humidity up. I have a separate thermometer and humidity reader I am using as well.

Back
Top Bottom