January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
More pictures of everyone:celebrate

View attachment 3761183

Lemon with a whole lot of feathers coming in

View attachment 3761184
Coffee, Coconut

View attachment 3761185
Lemon and Coconut at the front

View attachment 3761188
Coffee

View attachment 3761209

Prickly in front, Guava drinking

View attachment 3761213

Laffy and Peach plumage comparison

View attachment 3761214
Caramel

View attachment 3761215
Cherry

View attachment 3761216
Pitaya

Duck math is really getting to me 🤣 At the start of this, I said I only wanted to keep 2 - 3 ducklings, but now I think I’ll be keeping 7 - 8 of them. They’re just too sweet!

At the moment, I know that Laffy, Peach, Prickly, and Banana are girls. I believe Lemon, Coffee, Strawberry, and Peppermint could be girls as well, but I’m gonna give it another week or two until I say for sure. Guava is definitely a boy. I’m still unsure about Coconut, so they may be a boy as well. Overall, I think we have the potential of 8 girls and 2 boys - very good, if so! At the very least, I think there’s more girls than boys.

Oh, also, I’ve finally been able to give Peppermint a green leg band on her right leg. Now it’ll be much easier to tell her and Coconut apart :)

Edit to add - I changed my profile picture! It’s around 90% AI and 10% of my editing. I tried to get it as close to Pitaya, Cherry, and Caramel as possible, but there’s clear differences. I still quite like it :D
:love they're getting so big already! Adorable! :love
And your new profile pic is awesome! 🤩

More pictures of everyone:celebrate

View attachment 3761183

Lemon with a whole lot of feathers coming in

View attachment 3761184
Coffee, Coconut

View attachment 3761185
Lemon and Coconut at the front

View attachment 3761188
Coffee

View attachment 3761209

Prickly in front, Guava drinking

View attachment 3761213

Laffy and Peach plumage comparison

View attachment 3761214
Caramel

View attachment 3761215
Cherry

View attachment 3761216
Pitaya

Duck math is really getting to me 🤣 At the start of this, I said I only wanted to keep 2 - 3 ducklings, but now I think I’ll be keeping 7 - 8 of them. They’re just too sweet!

At the moment, I know that Laffy, Peach, Prickly, and Banana are girls. I believe Lemon, Coffee, Strawberry, and Peppermint could be girls as well, but I’m gonna give it another week or two until I say for sure. Guava is definitely a boy. I’m still unsure about Coconut, so they may be a boy as well. Overall, I think we have the potential of 8 girls and 2 boys - very good, if so! At the very least, I think there’s more girls than boys.

Oh, also, I’ve finally been able to give Peppermint a green leg band on her right leg. Now it’ll be much easier to tell her and Coconut apart :)

Edit to add - I changed my profile picture! It’s around 90% AI and 10% of my editing. I tried to get it as close to Pitaya, Cherry, and Caramel as possible, but there’s clear differences. I still quite like it :D
Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures!!!!! Coconut has that drake looking head but I hope I am wrong. They are all sooooo beautiful. Whenever guessing the sex of mine I would pray for girls but my Mallard throws off mostly males, I got 2 hens out of over 30 ducklings over the years so it was always wishful thinking. I pray that you have that many Hens. I hope you can keep us posted on how the sex turns out on them as they can be real foolers sometimes.

I got 2 hens out of over 30 ducklings over the years
Wow! So many boys! :eek:
I hope you can keep us posted on how the sex turns out on them as they can be real foolers sometimes.
For sure, I’ll definitely let y’all know! I know what it’s like to have foolers, haha. I kept 14 ducklings from my first hatch, thinking I had 10 hens and 4 drakes - my shock when I realized I actually had 6 hens and 8 drakes :hit However, I’ve learned how to voice sex better since then, so I’m fairly confident on the sexes so far.

Wow! So many boys! :eek:

For sure, I’ll definitely let y’all know! I know what it’s like to have foolers, haha. I kept 14 ducklings from my first hatch, thinking I had 10 hens and 4 drakes - my shock when I realized I actually had 6 hens and 8 drakes :hit However, I’ve learned how to voice sex better since then, so I’m fairly confident on the sexes so far.
Great that you can voice sex them so much better now. Out of my two Fawn and White Runners that I got, one was a whistler so it was a drake for sure or that was what I thought. It turned out both are Hens!!!! I have only had drakes whistle in the past so I was shocked when it turned out to be two hens. My Mallard throws off drakes as the Hen determines the sex of the ducklings. I am going to try to keep her from hatching any this year. She is an excellent hider of her nests though so she makes it very difficult.

Small update, just from this morning

The Big 5’s first zoomies in the lake :love

And also this gorgeous photo I managed to capture of Laffy ☺️
IMG_3337.jpeg

View attachment 3762422

So pretty :love ! Soon they'll be joining the adult flock 24/7! Laffy might be able to take to the air in a short while with those gorgeous silvery wings!

View attachment 3762422
Beautiful pictures, thanks so much for sharing!!!! It is great that you can take them to the lake and they will return to the pen with you. I am amazed they would want to leave the lake! It's beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom