Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Well, It happend! I left the 1 hen that went broody in the box with 1 egg to see if she would stay. I know JG's aren't supposed to go broody very often and didn't want to risk too many eggs. I just left her 1 egg. But I had to remove 1-3 every day! The other hens would just pop in and lay an egg with her in the box! She would just reach over and tuck it inder her with the other. I had to mark her egg so I made sure to leave the right 1. LOL I went out yesterday evening to get the eggs. When I opened her box she fluffed up as normal, I reached under her and found 1 egg and 1 empty shell! I figured some one had busted it on accident. I felt all over under her and felt nothing more than the 1 extra. But when I went back out last night to check before bed....... I checked under her again. I heard something odd. I stopped stood there for a sec. and then out pops this tiny lil head from under her breast! HOLY C@#$%!!! I couldn't believe it! How did I miss this lil fuzzy butt? He is tiny! smaller than the chicks I hatched before. But SO cute! I am still having camera probs. I am going tonight to buy a new 1. This is just to cute to miss out on! She is such a good mama too! She stayed fluffed up and calling to the chick the whole time I was out there adding chips to her box. she jumped out and stood there calling him. Then she squated down and kept cooing to him. He jumped out and ran under her. she just stayed there as I worked(she was talking to the baby the whole time). I closed the box and waited and listened for her to return to the box. I had to open the coop and set them inside the box. They stayed in it just cooing to each other. I stayed a minute then went in to bed. I am still in shock!( and aw!)

God Bless!

P.s. I took out the grains/scratch from the coop and put in the chick waterer and crumbles.

Last edited:
Awesome! I've read JGs don't usually brood well because their large size breaks the egg. Good for her for breaking the rules!

bigstack: That's so awesome!
ya.gif

Thanks! I wasn't sure is she would stay on the nest. that is why I only let her keep the 1 egg. I wish now I had gave her more. LOL I was told they usually don't stay on the nest and didn't want to lose to many. But she is such a good protective mama.

I was just informed I have to work tomorrow and sat. but I will get pics!

God Bless!

The other day I got rid of two of my JG cockerels. I gave them to the folks I get my eggs from while I wait for ours to start laying. Nice folks, and they have a real nice set up. BUT, when I told him that they were Jersey Giants he said he had never heard of them. I told him how big he could expect them to get and he told me I was crazy, "Chickens can't grow that big!"
I assured him a few times that they were not your ordinary fowl, but he would hear none of it. Didn't believe they were only 6 weeks old because they were near as big as the Polish he was putting them in with. I could only smile and shake my head as I walked back to the car. He's gonna need a bigger pop door on that coop.
lau.gif

Quote:
I have a JG hen that hatched 9 out of 16 this Spring. And was a great Mom. No broken eggs. She has been broody twice more since then. I broke her both times since then, but it was hard. I should have given her Silkie eggs to hatch -- since the Silkies haven't felt like being broody!
If she's laid a dozen eggs since Spring, that's alot.

Right now I am dealing with an outbreak of some form of CRD. I might end up having to cull every chicken.
hit.gif
I am treating the whole flock with antibiotics and will have to have the State Vet come and test those I don't cull to see if they are carriers.
I haven't brought home any birds since Spring and I quarantined them for a month. The last swap meet I went to was 3 weeks ago -- and I didn't touch anything. I might have brought it in on my shoes...
Anyway, be careful....
I'm not asking for advice here because that belongs in another board, just...
barnie.gif

Dale-Ann

That's good to know JGs can go broody and get the job done. Sorry about CRD. It's not a nice thing to have on the farm. Best of luck.

Quote:
Cool, I love these big guys! We have 2 Blacks and a Splash Roo, and a few Blue Hens, about five months old. Hard to photograph them though, they're the most uncooperative of the bunch when posing for pics.

I also have a pair of those Pink Floyd P.J. bottoms! One of the fellas is named Lunatic . . .and yes, he's on the grass, heheh.

Sooo I haven't touched this place since my Jersey Giants from Wynette were just day olds. . . Well, here's them at 5 months!

First, I have to unveil this little girl. She is so amazing and unique to me, I like to call her the "mock-Lavender Jersey Giant," because especially seeing her in person, she looks like a Lavender pullet.
droolin.gif
But so far, I'm getting rather poor photos of her. . .

4994732687_1a9201b43d_z.jpg

Next is a nice little huddle of blue pullets. (the one to the far right is not a JG)

4994732931_0c9fb21d32_z.jpg

And here's my main man, a blue cockerel. My, I must say, they are slow growers and SO gawky looking at this stage!

4995340322_9ca1ff431c_z.jpg

It took me a long time to decide wether I should keep him, or a black one who had an amazing, deep voice, or a gorgeous splash, who was a little smaller than the two.

I also have a splash pullet. All of my JG girls I'm awaiting eggs from, one already laid her first egg, but I have no clue who - I just found a random brown egg under where they sleep.

Illia! PRETTY blues you have there! Maybe you should keep that black boy if you still have him...the blues out of the black cocks make the lacing so defined & gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting pics of them!!!
big_smile.png
You've made my day!

Back
Top Bottom