Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Well, I just checked... the bottom of the feet are not yellow. They are a creamy color. So, onward on my journey of figuring out what this thing is. Mainly I just need to find out if I have a rooster. One of my others started crowing today, and luckily I found a home for it, but if I have another one I'll need to start looking. I had only picked up 6.

Thank you for your help!

Does anybody know where/how the brown feathering came from on some blue jersey giants? I have some that are black and blue and some that are black, blue and brown feathering. Are they both correct for standard? Do hens carry the brown as well, My hens don't have any but roos do.

jenesis, you don't have a JG but it does look like it my be a male.
Flying burrito, The brown may be sun fading. Are your birds in the sun a lot? JG's don't have natural brown. I'm no expert but have a good memory with what I've read on this site. Take a look at the begining posts of this thread. You'll see some brown on otherwise beautiful birds. The brown color is talked about. Good luck.

It has been a week since the last pics, so I'll take some more tomorrow and repost to the gender guess forum. I was able to rehome my other rooster, so if she is he, I need to start looking for this one.

Quote:
I was looking at your pics (mostly at the saddle feathers and neck feathers) and it looks like the feathers are rounded to me, indicating a hen.
I would also like to point out a few things I have noticed with hatchery stock/feedstore Jersey Giants- they often have white tips on the wings (or just one spot on one wing tip, but it will go away usually) and more often than not, they will have either cream color or greyish color to the bottoms of the feet. I think you have a typical hatchery JG, I am from CA as well, and there are only so many hatcheries that service our feedstores statewide. I have bought JG's from pretty much all of them, and none of them grew up to have the correct yellow color on their feet. Maybe a toe, or a bit on the 'heel', but not the whole pad of the foot. They never grow as big as the ones I have hatched from breeders either.

I have gotten rid of all my feed store/hatchery stock since I want bigger birds who are closer to the SOP. But hatchery birds will still lay nice eggs and JG's are usually very nice and calm, so you can still have a nice bird.

maybe a little frostbite could be a good thing by getting rid of the extra points on his comb
wink.png

Quote:

34489_color3.jpg
I dont want to step on any toes but I would like to post a few pics to get opinions on color so here we go! I will post You guys tell me color opinion,Thanks! Pic 1

Back
Top Bottom