July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So, I candled last night to get an official count of messed up air cells....I've got 2 that are definitely detached with little bubbles floating around (1 wheaten, 1 silver), 8 that are saddled (2 wheatens, 6 silvers), and 2 that are real wobbly (both silvers). Out of all my silver eggs, only 6 are looking kinda ok. All of them have kind of wonky looking air cells, except the blues. The blues all look fine for some reason. I hope I still get enough to hatch. I've never dealt with saddled air cells or anything. Is there any chance the totally detached ones will hatch? I don't wanna leave them in there if there isn't.

I’ve never successfully hatched an egg with a fully detached air cell. I can’t recall if any developed or not.

Depending on how rough the shipped eggs look I have a slight preference in incubating and hatching upright. I feel there is a slight increase in hatching this way but not much. An extra 1 chick per dozen. Completely anecdotal as I don’t keep any records. In general side incubating get better numbers. My current shipped eggs looked wonderful upon arrival. So they’ve been incubated and will lockdown on their sides only.

Just like everything with hatching there are many ways of doing things. There is still a lot of influences in your control that will affect hatching: position, turning, temperature, humidity and lockdown procedures. Almost every one of those factors people have slightly different ways of doing things. Temp being the only one that’s really universal. This doesn’t help clarify anything. You’ll have to just make some decisions and be ready to learn.

What incubator are you using? I have a guess based on the picture. If it’s a Farm Innovator I might have some tips.

So, I candled last night to get an official count of messed up air cells....I've got 2 that are definitely detached with little bubbles floating around (1 wheaten, 1 silver), 8 that are saddled (2 wheatens, 6 silvers), and 2 that are real wobbly (both silvers). Out of all my silver eggs, only 6 are looking kinda ok. All of them have kind of wonky looking air cells, except the blues. The blues all look fine for some reason. I hope I still get enough to hatch. I've never dealt with saddled air cells or anything. Is there any chance the totally detached ones will hatch? I don't wanna leave them in there if there isn't.
I had 2.or 3 this time with detached air cells....I kept em in and they weren't bad enough that they caused a problem yet.
Day 12 candling showed good results of them reattached.
Time will tell though.
I do have a couple saddled air cells that are doin well too!

What incubator are you using? I have a guess based on the picture. If it’s a Farm Innovator I might have some tips.
Yes, it is. It's the older version, before you could add water without opening the lid. I actually plan on getting one of the new ones so I can do staggered hatches and have a separate hatching bator. The new one will be used for this because of the ease of adding water.

Outta curiosity....is it only in movies to have 2 daddies or is it possible the 2 roos could join together and the chick be from both?

No, it's not possible.

A hen could lay eggs fertilized by 2 different roosters because she stores sperm but each egg has only one father. :)

OK, I've candled on Day 16 and pulled the eggs that I'd *thought* were quitters last week -- leaving 14, after I re-checked one I'd marked "dubious" and saw the chick inside move.

Have some lousy photos. ;)

Quitter:
7944871-0db78c7c0e811653eb8f80de4e790c44.jpg

Good one:
7944866-a46a2dcbacbdb127420d1d68e30aea5a.jpg

Wonky Air Cell:
7944867-c22aeb9962d3acbb751488f3a148499a.jpg

I'm making a separate thread to ask about this and my other air cells because I'm too inexperienced to know what I'm looking at. :)

My hatch with shipped eggs that actually hatched 2 I know for s fact #5 was detached so I figured no chance. That was my one incubator baby that hatched!!

Back
Top Bottom