July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
With each hatch I've done there is usually one DIS...for whatever reason in lockdown the lil baby just dies. Never internally pips.
I, too, usually have at least one DIS. My last hatch there were four. I consider them DIS if they never internally PIP. Not much you can do for them in this situation. If I am watching the eggs like a hawk I can usually save any that internally PIP but for whatever reason do not externally PIP because of malrotation etc. I place safety holes and keep a very close eye.😊

after going back and forth I went with the magicfly rechargeable mainly because I don't have an open outlet near my incubator with out unplugging something..... It will be here Fri.

Now do I use my flashlight and try to block as much light (or the incubator light) tomorrow night at day 3 and hope to see something..... Or wait for the candler on Fri day 4 when I really should see something if anything is going on......
I use the Magicfly and I am very pleased with them, I have two of them so there’s always one that can be charging! They seem to hold a charge very well and double as a superstrength flashlight!😊

If I am watching the eggs like a hawk I can usually save any that internally PIP but for whatever reason do not externally PIP because of malrotation etc. I place safety holes and keep a very close eye.

Personally, I'm afraid of perpetuating problems if I were to interfere. Slowpoke did NOT turn out well.

0619220904-jpg.3154509

That photo doesn't do him justice because he's not just wrytailed at 90-degrees, but hunchbacked and walks like Quasimodo.

I *might* do it again rather than watch a chick struggle and die, but I'd do it knowing that I was saving a bird for the crockpot and not the sales ad or the breeding pen.

Personally, I'm afraid of perpetuating problems if I were to interfere. Slowpoke did NOT turn out well.

0619220904-jpg.3154509

That photo doesn't do him justice because he's not just wrytailed at 90-degrees, but hunchbacked and walks like Quasimodo.

I *might* do it again rather than watch a chick struggle and die, but I'd do it knowing that I was saving a bird for the crockpot and not the sales ad or the breeding pen.
I have actually had some lovely birds come out of assisted hatches, so I do when I can after careful assessment. I always assist in stages so the chick can do whatever it can on it's own. I try to leave a little bit at the end especially if it is able to push out of the egg on it's own. Full assists often end up with leg issues in my experience. And yes, you are correct, many chicks that are assisted, probably are not hatching for a reason. I did assist one several years ago from shipped eggs that had not externally pipped and had severe cross beak.

OK, I guess I'm weird because I have no plans to stay home or anything.

They're hatching Sunday. I'm working Saturday as usual. I'm serving at church Sunday morning. I'll see what I've got for chicks when I get home at lunchtime.

If they're not all hatched Sunday evening, well, I have to work Monday and we'll see what's in the incubator when I get home.

There's nothing I can do to change anything about the hatch and my one assisted hatch didn't have good long-term results: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/slowpoke-a-reality-check-after-an-assisted-hatch.77702/

Admittedly my experience is very limited, this being only my third batch, but I'm just not the sort of person to stress over a situation that I can't do anything to affect. :)
Not stressed just excited for the experience, and want to see as much as I can...I don't work weekends that's why I set them when I did. Sorry for being overly ecstatic

I have actually had some lovely birds come out of assisted hatches, so I do when I can after careful assessment. I always assist in stages so the chick can do whatever it can on it's own. I try to leave a little bit at the end especially if it is able to push out of the egg on it's own. Full assists often end up with leg issues in my experience. And yes, you are correct, many chicks that are assisted, probably are not hatching for a reason. I did assist one several years ago from shipped eggs that had not externally pipped and had severe cross beak.
I can understand that perspective. I find it heartbreaking to cull after unresolved leg issues or watch them fail to thrive. Now I opt to let them pass peacefully in their shell. That’s where I’m comfortable erring.

Pea eggs don't ship well, so you're up against that, but if the eggs are fertile, and the air cells aren't too damaged, you might get lucky. I did get luck with the first set of shipped pea eggs, 4 of 6 hatched, but my next two sets of 6 eggs each, none hatched.

I know peafowl eggs are more delicate than chicken or duck eggs... so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! My incubator is the NR360 so the eggs will be on their sides... do you usually incubate them more upright? I've also seen that many people hatch them at the end in cut up egg cartons so they are sitting fully upright... do you know anything about that?

I know peafowl eggs are more delicate than chicken or duck eggs... so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! My incubator is the NR360 so the eggs will be on their sides... do you usually incubate them more upright? I've also seen that many people hatch them at the end in cut up egg cartons so they are sitting fully upright... do you know anything about that?
When I incubated my shipped pea eggs, I incubated them on their sides, but their air cells were in decent shape. If you have any with super jiggly or detached air cells I think you might want to start them off upright.

Back
Top Bottom