July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So much incuabtor room! I'm jealous. My bator is overstuffed right now. It's day four; can't see any development in my guinea eggs with dark shells or the copper maran eggs, but everything else except one is developing perfectly. I told myself that I was going to stick to a candling schedule this time, and that didn't work. At all. I just love watching little miracles grow.

Dead in shell... It's interesting to hear all of your takes on that. I've had two assisted hatches. My goose didn't turn out quite right... hunched, crossed wings, short neck, much meatier body, etc. So far my chick is fine, but she's only three days old, so fingers crossed.

Some day I will have peafowl. They are my all time favorite animal.

I use Brinsea 380's for the incubating and a Brinsea hatcher and a redwood 416 for overflow hatching. The Brinsea is mostly set and forget and keeps the humidity right where I want it. I do not trust the digital thermostat so I have lab-grade mercury thermometers in each unit as well. I am pleased that two of my units keep the temp within 0.3 degrees and another two units within a half degree. Even with this extreme accuracy I still have help-outs and I do, but that is the difference between a $2 chicken and a $400. pea.View attachment 3169447View attachment 3169458

OMGeeze! What an amazing setup you got!!! $400 for each peafowl?! Amazing!

I'm so thankful for @LadiesAndJane for all her help, guidance and patience with me in a rough hatch...and it was only my 3rd! But when the eggs traveled nearly 5000 miles I was amazed they made it here I'm tact much less hatched!
Prior to her help i had only assisted one in the past and they for the most part were out except the shell had dried like concrete to its little head which was causing it to not be able to move much.
The couple she helped me assist with did amazing! It actually was ones I didn't help with that ended up having problems and/or dieing couple hours after hatch during night for whatever reason.
Since then I have really kept a close eye on my incubators and I have the separate thermostats to double check them against as well.
I am super excited bout havin silkies again! And prayin I don't get any more wild hairs to do something beyond my ability (breeding projects)!

Omg, just got home from work and 2 babies so far❤

Attachments

• 20220630_162641.jpg
    20220630_162641.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 4
I use Brinsea 380's for the incubating and a Brinsea hatcher and a redwood 416 for overflow hatching. The Brinsea is mostly set and forget and keeps the humidity right where I want it. I do not trust the digital thermostat so I have lab-grade mercury thermometers in each unit as well. I am pleased that two of my units keep the temp within 0.3 degrees and another two units within a half degree. Even with this extreme accuracy I still have help-outs and I do, but that is the difference between a $2 chicken and a $400. pea.View attachment 3169447View attachment 3169458
:bow

Oops....just totally "accidentally" ordered another dozen eggs from Gypsy Hen. Got 6 Self Blue Ameraucanas and 6 Blue/Black Birchen Marans. My 6 yr old daughter is SOOOO excited for some lavender babies! She already has naming rights for 2. I told her I'm naming the rest tho. Her first suggestion was Fluffy...🙄 They're shipping out Monday so I don't have to freak out all weekend again, and should be here by Wednesday, I think. I hope they fit in the incubator...hmm....may have to do some stuffing I think, lol. Dang. I think I totally got hatching fever again. Now all I need are some Bielefelders and my chicken collection will be complete! Will probably order those after all these guys have hatched. Whooo! Babies everywhere! Hubby's gonna kill me, lol.

Oops....just totally "accidentally" ordered another dozen eggs from Gypsy Hen. Got 6 Self Blue Ameraucanas and 6 Blue/Black Birchen Marans. My 6 yr old daughter is SOOOO excited for some lavender babies! She already has naming rights for 2. I told her I'm naming the rest tho. Her first suggestion was Fluffy...🙄 They're shipping out Monday so I don't have to freak out all weekend again, and should be here by Wednesday, I think. I hope they fit in the incubator...hmm....may have to do some stuffing I think, lol. Dang. I think I totally got hatching fever again. Now all I need are some Bielefelders and my chicken collection will be complete! Will probably order those after all these guys have hatched. Whooo! Babies everywhere! Hubby's gonna kill me, lol.
Yes "accidentally", I got your back!

Back
Top Bottom