July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Well, I've got some sad news. Had to pull EIGHT more eggs tonight... :hit
There was one suspicious looking one two days ago that I had decided I would check again tonight (Day 7), and it had indeed died, so I pulled it, then decided to check the rest just for fun, and found 2 that looked to have died right after candling two days ago, and 5 that were nothing but blood rings. All looked fine two days ago. I don't get it. I've never had so many early deaths before. Blew my mind. I didn't even know they could go from looking totally healthy to blood rings in just two days. I'm devastated. Down to 23 out of the original 40...10/14 wheatens (with 1 more suspicious one I'm leaving til Day 10), 6/11 BBS (none of these were pulled this time, and only 7 (!) out of 15 Silvers. I really hope I don't lose too many more. It's heartbreaking. On the plus side, my news eggs coming in should all fit in the incubator now....
I had similar experience with my shipped eggs this year. Hang in there and hopefully the rest develop well!

snapped a quick pic when I added the seven from yesterday to the brooder.

IMG_20220704_194619.jpg

There was one suspicious looking one two days ago that I had decided I would check again tonight (Day 7), and it had indeed died, so I pulled it, then decided to check the rest just for fun, and found 2 that looked to have died right after candling two days ago, and 5 that were nothing but blood rings. All looked fine two days ago. I don't get it. I've never had so many early deaths before. Blew my mind. I didn't even know they could go from looking totally healthy to blood rings in just two days. I'm devastated. Down to 23 out of the original 40...10/14 wheatens (with 1 more suspicious one I'm leaving til Day 10), 6/11 BBS (none of these were pulled this time, and only 7 (!) out of 15 Silvers. I really hope I don't lose too many more. It's heartbreaking. On the plus side, my news eggs coming in should all fit in the incubator now....
oh so sad! I hope the rest of them do great! I have peeked at some of mine every day and fingers crossed so far the 10 that started are still going. Now I am nervous as I was excited they were doing so well even being shipped!

I should remove the other group of shipped eggs since I don't see anything in those but keep hoping maybe I am wrong so figure at day 10 I will remove them.

Oh so sorry! That's a lot to pull at one time for sure! Gotta be related to extra day in shipping.

What a major bummer. It mirrors what I find in shipped eggs: early quitters and, unfortunately, DIS. Both very common in shipped eggs. 😔

Were these eggs located around the edges of the turner? Other than just being shipped eggs temp fluctuations might account for some of these losses.
I had the same thought. Some were around the edges, but they were pretty evenly distributed, so I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem or not. Still can't believe I lost so many in just two days! I've lost over half the silvers now. I just hope the ones I've got at least make it all the way to lockdown now. I expect a few DIS on hatch day, that I can handle (still really sad, but I'm used to it). But if I keep losing some all thru incubation I'll be so bummed.

I had the same thought. Some were around the edges, but they were pretty evenly distributed, so I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem or not. Still can't believe I lost so many in just two days! I've lost over half the silvers now. I just hope the ones I've got at least make it all the way to lockdown now. I expect a few DIS on hatch day, that I can handle (still really sad, but I'm used to it). But if I keep losing some all thru incubation I'll be so bummed.
So sorry to read this.🙁
I find blood rings common in shipped eggs.
Hopefully you’ve gone through what you have to and the rest will make it!

Last edited:
Little nervous about my upcoming hatch, only had 9/15 hatch in the June hatch under the same circumstances. Although these eggs were quite a bit older than the current ones. Not sure if it is the temperature fluctuations in the outside environment that are causing the lower hatch rate with my own eggs. My teenage daughter is tending to the eggs when I am at work which I currently am.
These eggs are due to hatch Thursday. I stopped turning the eggs at DAY 15 this time and set them up ready to go as I had to leave for work (I am away from home for several days at a time) and I did not want her to have to deal with it.
She really is doing a great job and sends me the temperature/humidity readings twice a day. Today is day 19, last time we had one already PIP on the 19th though it was a backwards baby, It managed to hatch just fine on its own. When she checked them last night there was no signs of pipping and she will add water today.
The current circumstances are causing me to be more of a hands-off Hatcher which I guess is good to see what difference it makes.😊

Back
Top Bottom