July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Mama and babies fully integrated with flock-slept in the coop loose for the 1st time last night at 2 weeks and 1 day :). Woke up to everyone happy and ready to eat! I do have one aggressive towards chicks hen that is now in solitary confinement until they are bigger or will be rehomed.
Excellent news! Sorry about the jerk hen but you’ve got a good handle, and plan, on it.

Excessive or unreasonable aggression is my line in the sand with our farm animals. It keeps things simple and safe. It’s applied to horses, goats, pigs, and poultry.

When all you want to do it take pictures of your July HAL chicks but you have an overly friendly BCM from your June HAL….
01901A59-4F77-4647-AE44-1797F99F82D7.jpeg

What I was actually trying to photograph. 🤣 The size difference between the Hoover’s Easter Eggers and my local hatched Silverudd’s. Those Hoover’s gals are growing at an astounding speed. 😲

FA053D6A-83B2-47F5-B3B1-31932DA5E2BC.jpeg

Attachments

• E6F1C362-86AB-4A4F-92E8-BBBFBD918F0D.jpeg
    E6F1C362-86AB-4A4F-92E8-BBBFBD918F0D.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 2
When all you want to do it take pictures of your July HAL chicks but you have an overly friendly BCM from your June HAL….
View attachment 3224333

What I was actually trying to photograph. 🤣 The size difference between the Hoover’s Easter Eggers and my local hatched Silverudd’s. Those Hoover’s gals are growing at an astounding speed. 😲

View attachment 3224332
Wow, that Silverudd looks just like one of my June mutts!

Wow, that Silverudd looks just like one of my June mutts!
Pics! I’d love to see what she looks like.

I have two BYM June HAL with blue in them. I lost track of what eggs they came from awhile ago. Based on their coloring I think they’re from the seller with a blue laced red Wyandotte rooster over Olive Egger hen (Legbar x Welsummer). The bird with more blue is the chick in my avatar!
A19542D3-6F10-4090-94F5-947190A2FA2F.jpeg 8FF69628-2620-4839-8A88-4C10F9CB198A.jpeg 1A456E1A-05CF-46DE-AE0B-BF5E3D365C78.jpeg

I have two BYM June HAL with blue in them. I lost track of what eggs they came from awhile ago. Based on their coloring I think they’re from the seller with a blue laced red Wyandotte rooster over Olive Egger hen (Legbar x Welsummer). The bird with more blue is the chick in my avatar!
View attachment 3225132View attachment 3225134View attachment 3225143
I'll get some pics! His name is Nickolai and he has a foot issue (?). I am SO envious of that BLRW mix. I was supposed to get two BLRWs in my July eggs, but I didn't get any. That was the one breed that I absolutely wanted to hatch! Ugh.

View attachment 3225132View attachment 3225134View attachment 3225143
Are your BLRW mixes cockerels? I have 2 EE in my July hatch that I think are boys, because they are grey with the reddish brown all over their backs. They are so pretty, I was hoping one of them would be a girl. I’ll have to get pics next time I am at the farm. Oldest is going away this week so I might not get over there til this weekend.

Are your BLRW mixes cockerels? I have 2 EE in my July hatch that I think are boys, because they are grey with the reddish brown all over their backs. They are so pretty, I was hoping one of them would be a girl. I’ll have to get pics next time I am at the farm. Oldest is going away this week so I might not get over there til this weekend.
I don’t know for sure. 😢 I’m not giving up hope they’re pullets until I know for 100%. Out of the 14 June HAL chicks I kept 6 and gave away 8 definite cockerels. Two of those 6 are also cockerels (one known, one surprise). Everything about them says pullet except for the darker red coming in on their shoulders. Telltale male but still I hope.

I don’t know for sure. 😢 I’m not giving up hope they’re pullets until I know for 100%. Out of the 14 June HAL chicks I kept 6 and gave away 8 definite cockerels. Two of those 6 are also cockerels (one known, one surprise). Everything about them says pullet except for the darker red coming in on their shoulders. Telltale male but still I hope.
Fingers crossed for both of us…

Back
Top Bottom