July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
First shipment of “colorful” mix eggs came this morning. This one, like the 2 other dozens I have on the way from eBay, was due on Saturday but came early. This is from My Pet Chicken. The other 2 shipments are BCM’s and Delaware.
I had to chuckle at the types of breeds they highlighted, indicating what I got.
I have some olive eggers and BCM’s, no surprise there. A couple of blue/black/splash Amerucanas, lavender EE. And get this, something they’re calling “SUPER Chocolate Egg Layer”...whose eggs aren’t near as dark as the BCM’s, lol. They included several “mystery eggs”, which a couple are very small eggs, maybe some type of Bantam I’m thinking, and an olive egg, which isn’t such a mystery I guess. 🤣
Maybe the small eggs will be silkies? I can dream can’t I? 😎

Now for the Brinsea Ova Scope report.
This turned out just like @TheBajan reported. I’ve learned that reading this forum for 6 years doesn’t help me figure out what the heck I’m seeing, and I’m as clueless as any newby can be. 😏
With a flashlight, and with egg cupped in my hand inside a dark utility room, I think I can see the area called the airsack, and that is it. That area moves a little bit, but not much. I can’t even see that with this “fancydangschmancy” candler, so back it goes to Amazon ASAP, and a high power flashlight will replace it.

2 questions:
Each egg was identified with pencil, the abbreviation for the type or breed. There was also a number on each egg, some were marked 4, 0, one was 5, another 9.... is this supposed to be the number of the airsack area? I’ve never read anything about that here, but the Ova View shows a diagram with airsack lines with numbers next to them. The email I received from MPC didn’t say anything about a number.

#2: Although I can begin the incubation process, I might be waiting a few days to receive the other eggs, not due till Saturday...and I know it can be Monday before I get them. If I set these now, with the turner off, I’m going to need to still keep the turner off for the later arrivals...I’m thinking it might be better all around if I just wait until I have the others to begin incubating...am I on the right track? It would also mean that I won’t have to remove chicks that hatch (ever hopeful) 3 to 5 days earlier than the others and risk messing up lockdown.

Thanks if you’ve read this book. 😆 I appreciate this place to get the conversation and encouragement I need, since hubby is uninterested.
(At least he’s kind and willing to finish my coop, so bless his heart)
The numbers might be the pen#🤷🏻‍♀️

So someone local to me has show quality silkies, polish and several other breeds. They want $20 for 12 eggs. Should my cheap self get them?

That's amazing! Wow! Did you go for it?

.....Each egg was identified with pencil, the abbreviation for the type or breed. There was also a number on each egg, some were marked 4, 0, one was 5, another 9.... is this supposed to be the number of the airsack area? I’ve never read anything about that here, but the Ova View shows a diagram with airsack lines with numbers next to them. The email I received from MPC didn’t say anything about a number.

#2: Although I can begin the incubation process, I might be waiting a few days to receive the other eggs, not due till Saturday...and I know it can be Monday before I get them. If I set these now, with the turner off, I’m going to need to still keep the turner off for the later arrivals...I’m thinking it might be better all around if I just wait until I have the others to begin incubating...am I on the right track? It would also mean that I won’t have to remove chicks that hatch (ever hopeful) 3 to 5 days earlier than the others and risk messing up lockdown.

They’re dirty too. A note on the bottom of the page that came with them said to excuse the “mud”, as they sometimes get muddy feet.
I’ve read that they need a dip in some diluted bleach, but I’m gonna read some more about dirty eggs before I do that.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have waited and I have done staggered hatches. Staggered hatches a day or so apart will not be too big of a deal as they can lockdown together anyway. If you decide to wait, I'd contact MPC for your own peace of mind about the age of the eggs since viability drops after 7 days. It would be very surprising to me to hear that any eggs they're sending out could be 9 days old. I am betting that is the breed or pen number or something. If you talk to them, I'd love to hear what they say about that.

As for the dirt, I never clean my eggs. I wouldn't say that it hurts, but as eggs are porous, the temperature of things put on them should be just right to avoid being absorbed through the shell. I worry that if there is something on them and I remove the bloom and open the pores, they can be vulnerable to things the bloom might protect them from otherwise. I could be way off on this, but this is my thinking and why I do it that way. :)

That's amazing! Wow! Did you go for it?

I have waited and I have done staggered hatches. Staggered hatches a day or so apart will not be too big of a deal as they can lockdown together anyway. If you decide to wait, I'd contact MPC for your own peace of mind about the age of the eggs since viability drops after 7 days. It would be very surprising to me to hear that any eggs they're sending out could be 9 days old. I am betting that is the breed or pen number or something. If you talk to them, I'd love to hear what they say about that.

As for the dirt, I never clean my eggs. I wouldn't say that it hurts, but as eggs are porous, the temperature of things put on them should be just right to avoid being absorbed through the shell. I worry that if there is something on them and I remove the bloom and open the pores, they can be vulnerable to things the bloom might protect them from otherwise. I could be way off on this, but this is my thinking and why I do it that way. :)
Not yet I’m waiting until all my eggs hatch probably get them next month for august hatch.

Back
Top Bottom