July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Oh, I didn't know you were part of the skywalker siblings/cousins gang! :D
Sorry to hear you lost one to heat. :(
So his Bieles had more trouble with the heat than others do? He's outside of Chicago so that might make sense vs a breeder I saw selling eggs from TX. And I had read somewhere they are not the best in heat, but I know when I looked at Chantecleres I figured they would melt and die where I am.

Can I ask where where you got the other more heat tolerant Bieles? If mine prove to have heat issues I'd like to continue with the breed but from a different source.
Yes, although Chicago does hit the 100s too now and then. I have wondered though. I hadn't heard about the heart trouble they have and have wondered if that plays a part as well. I went back to look for the link where I bought the others and can't find it. Will dig a little deeper and see if I can find it. Omega Hills Farm is a good one. I also have some Greenfire Farms Bieles. I haven't heard of the TX breeder. Do you have their info?

I currently have three sources in my bielefelder breeding flock. I try to keep the stronger stock and best temperments going forward. I did cull one perfectly beautiful boy earlier this year because he was a jerk. Overall, I (obviously) think they're an awesome breed though.

Freezing watermelon then smashing it is great in the summer too.
They love that one!!
20200712_204714.jpg

I got mine from tractor supply, but I just ordered some from amazon. I set my buckets up on bricks so they’re pretty much at beak level of the chicks.
I got the same cups from TSC but haven't used them yet. Looking forward to seeing your set up with them.

So far for the big birds I keep a plain dish outside, away from the coop and near a fence line so I can dump water in it from outside the fence. I also have a large rock in the middle so when they perch on the edge to drink it doesn't flip over. It's not the best set up, but having it away from the coop keeps it clean. Winters here aren't too bad (not at all like when I kept chickens up north) and I sometimes get an ice crust, but carrying out a gallon jug of hot water from the house twice a day works great.

Up north I used heated dog dishes and found those easier than the heated chicken waterers.

Originally I was going to go with the cups. However, I'm in Michigan and everything I've seen tells me they will freeze in the winter. Whereas the nipples (with heat and pump) will make it through without freezing. That's why I wanted to go with the nipples. The self filling buckets have been what I've used since I started out with chickens 2+ years ago. The problem I'm having with that is the mess. I don't mind it outside but in the inside run where they spend most of their time during the cold weather, it's becoming a problem. We had sealed the floor with Blackjack roofing tar to protect against water damage but I'm feeling some spongy spots where we keep the water. Right now, we have 7 Icelandic pullets between 6-10 weeks old. I've never had this breed before and they are cute, funny, pretty chatter boxes. The down side is that they are INCREDIBLY MESSY! We use J-feeders and have never had a mess or waste with the food. They literally pull the food out and dump if on the floor so they can forage! The water is elevated enough that we've never had an issue with shavings getting in it but they kick shavings up so much that it doesn't matter. They also like to perch on the edge of the water and make a mess so in just a few weeks time, we've gone from a working food/ water system to having to re-think how we want to move forward. Little stinkers are truly a surprising learning curve for me!
I just give mine buckets and pans of water. Rinse/refill several times a day as needed. Nothing is gonna stay nice with the geese & the ducks drinking & rinsing anyway. I have nipples & cups, & buckets set up with them, but for me, they're too much trouble, even in winter. I have bucket deicers for winter.

Last edited:
Yes, although Chicago does hit the 100s too now and then. I have wondered though. I hadn't heard about the heart trouble they have and have wondered if that plays a part as well. I went back to look for the link where I bought the others and can't find it. Will dig a little deeper and see if I can find it. Omega Hills Farm is a good one. I also have some Greenfire Farms Bieles. I haven't heard of the TX breeder. Do you have their info?

I currently have three sources in my bielefelder breeding flock. I try to keep the stronger stock and best temperments going forward. I did cull one perfectly beautiful boy earlier this year because he was a jerk. Overall, I (obviously) think they're an awesome breed though.
I'll also dig because I don't think I saved the TX breeder link. I did have Omega HIlls, Greenfire, and Buzzardairlines.

I think the TX breeder I found was on ebay, but can't find the listing now. They had their farm name in the description and I went to their regular site to see more info.

Forgot I had found these too-
Orchard Hill Poultry- GA
Uber Chic Ranch- MA
Alchemist Farm & Garden- CA
Chick Inn Ranch- TX

I think the TX breeder I found was on ebay, but can't find the listing now. They had their farm name in the description and I went to their regular site to see more info.

Forgot I had found these too-
Orchard Hill Poultry- GA
Uber Chic Ranch- MA
Alchemist Farm & Garden- CA
Chick Inn Ranch- TX
Wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom