June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Just candled my 3 bators, day 15, 13 & 12. I have 56 eggs still going after removing a clear and a few quitters. This batch has been completely hands-off, as it’s the most I’ve set at once and I’ve been super busy so only candled on day 5 to remove clears. Will candle again day 18 for lockdown. This is probably my last hatch of the year unless I set some quail eggs for my aunt. I have a buyer who wants up to 40, and one who wants 13 blue-egg chicks only, so I’ll be separating them at lockdown and keeping the 13 with my silkies in a separate brooder so she only gets true EE chicks. Of course, I didn’t set eggs in the different incubators by color…that would have been too easy. 😂

My broody RIR has a lot of sisters trying to lay in the next that she made in the corner of the coop. The egg count under her is a lost cause. I just wish she would hatch 2 or 3 so she would get some mama experience and I could toss the other eggs and then begin to use those eggs from the other hens and hopefully get them back to laying in the rollout box. I think I'm starting a few Bresse eggs this weekend and those should hatch around the 25th of June.

My broody RIR has a lot of sisters trying to lay in the next that she made in the corner of the coop. The egg count under her is a lost cause. I just wish she would hatch 2 or 3 so she would get some mama experience and I could toss the other eggs and then begin to use those eggs from the other hens and hopefully get them back to laying in the rollout box. I think I'm starting a few Bresse eggs this weekend and those should hatch around the 25th of June.
Can you take some of the eggs away and just let her hatch a few? You can also shake the eggs and they won't hatch if you would want to leave them under her. You could mark the ones that you shook if you think she would not stay broody if you removed any. Good Luck with whatever you decide. They can surely make life difficult sometimes. lol

We got some White American Bresse chicks this spring and just recently rehomed them to the in-law farm because they have the room and no code on quantity where as we do. I'll post a pic of them in the brooder.
20230411_153139.jpg

Well, she was still out of the nest and still clucking. I'm going to guess she broke. Don't know why. Maybe it was my fault. But I did say that I prefer she breaks than her dying. So from that perspective I guess it's good news. Now let's hope Ursula goes broody soon, or I'll be left with no chicks, and two less roosters which means no way of getting more Tsouloufati for my breeding program

Well, she was still out of the nest and still clucking. I'm going to guess she broke. Don't know why. Maybe it was my fault. But I did say that I prefer she breaks than her dying. So from that perspective I guess it's good news. Now let's hope Ursula goes broody soon, or I'll be left with no chicks, and two less roosters which means no way of getting more Tsouloufati for my breeding program
Can you put her and her nest in some some of containment?

Back
Top Bottom