June Hatch-A-Long! (Blue Ameraucanas for me!)

I have a few incubators going with all different types of eggs going!
California quail, guinea fowl, button quail, peacocks, cemanis, mandarin ducks, Egyptian fayoumi, east indie ducks, and Cayuga ducks!!

I am going to be a busy girl in June with 2-3 hatches a week!

Today is day 16 of my third hatch this year! Just candled and will lock down tonight. First time hatcher this year. :)

First one was a rainbow mix from Alchemist farms (CA), 5 out of 12 hatched; 4 were roos so I'm only keeping the BCM pullet. Hatch date 3/21/17. Two olive egger rooms and one sage egger roo, sad that I'll have to get rid of a gorgeous splash copper marans baby boy!

Second was 18 eggs - mix of marans and olive eggers - from riggins chickens (ID), 13 hatched; too young to sex, hatch date 5/12/17. 5 of 6 olive eggers and 8 of 12 marans made it :) I think I lost three due to humidity issues and air circulation issues during incubation (I was worried about air cell development and probably changed the humidity too much towards the end of incubation; I used the rails with the foam in my brinsea 20 and I think that negatively affected air flow and temperature).

and this last batch, due June 2, are silkies from a breeder down in AZ. 7 out of 12 made it to lockdown! Can't wait to see how it goes.
:bow

Hi, I have 17 chicken eggs going into lockdown today in my Hovabator. 12 are a backyard mix that I am hatching for a friend and they look to be bantams, I've never tried hatching small eggs and the shells are a greenish colour that is impossible to see through with my mediocre candling light. So, I have no idea what to expect from those 12.
I set 3 eggs from my buff orpingtons, 2 developed, 1 was clear. And set 3 eggs from my golden comet hens, whose dark brown shells were also near impossible to see through. I could make out the air sac but that was it. So really not sure what to expect.

This is only the third time using the Hovabator, I did two hatches last year. The first in my daughter's school classroom and only 3/12 hatched. The second hatch at home we had 9/10 hatch out of the ones we had in lockdown, with the dry incubation method found on this site.

I have 45 cochin bantam eggs in my new incubator. I will post pics of the bator when I'm on break... I'm in love with this wooden incubator and should have better rates than with the old Styrofoam junk I had lol

Hi, I have 17 chicken eggs going into lockdown today in my Hovabator. 12 are a backyard mix that I am hatching for a friend and they look to be bantams, I've never tried hatching small eggs and the shells are a greenish colour that is impossible to see through with my mediocre candling light. So, I have no idea what to expect from those 12.
I set 3 eggs from my buff orpingtons, 2 developed, 1 was clear. And set 3 eggs from my golden comet hens, whose dark brown shells were also near impossible to see through. I could make out the air sac but that was it. So really not sure what to expect.

This is only the third time using the Hovabator, I did two hatches last year. The first in my daughter's school classroom and only 3/12 hatched. The second hatch at home we had 9/10 hatch out of the ones we had in lockdown, with the dry incubation method found on this site.

I feel your pain on trying to candle green eggs...I've got some Olive Egger Eggs I put in lockdown this morning...all I could see was a good air cell. There are three in the incubator and two under my sister in laws broody hen...the hen is one day ahead of my three. She also has one Partridge Brahma egg that as of Sunday was moving around...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them to hatch! Today is day 19 for me and day 20 for the hen!:fl

Yesterday was day 7 for us and only 4 out of 27 were questionable . Only problem so far is my egg turner must've gotten stuck and I have no idea for how long. I had to take everything out and play around with it. It seems to be working now but I'll have to keep an eye on it...

I will be setting a dozen random eggs probably monday so they'll be due the middle of June. :-DView attachment 554215
I LOVE your egg colours! What breeds are they from? Especially the grey/brown ones in the front each end. I have blue and blue/green eggs from Araucana and EE crosses. And I'm about to set Black Copper Marans eggs after my French Wheaton Marans eggs last year resulted in 3 roosters!

Hi! I have eggs due to hatch around the 10th. Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, Wheaten Ameraucanas, and an olive egger cross between my ISA red and my Wheaten roo. It's my first time hatching and I am nervous, scared and exited lol! The picture is of King George and Hermoine. Can't wait to see the olive eggers!
I just candled, day 10 and it looks like I only have 2-4 eggs viable out of 39 (29 shipped, 10 of my own) most don't look fertile. 4 had blood rings. I don't get it. Only 2 of my ISAs eggs have not been fertile since feb when I put her with the Roo. I expected way more.

Back
Top Bottom