June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Holy canoli junior! What are you gonna do??? Wow that is a lot
it is a LOT!!!!!! I don't know what I am going to do. LOL trying to find a 2nd incubator that isn't going to be super expensive. and PRAY that I can sell quite a few chicks as straight run since I can't keep that many to raise either. LOL I may not set them all but then I worry that the ones I do set won't develop and I will have picked the wrong ones to set. out of the 36 eggs I am not even sure how many or what breeds. I had asked for 2 specific breeds and then just the rest that are blue, green or olive egg layers so who knows what I will get from those........

I have 3 hatched from the Monday hatch. (2 to go). The momma hen is watching the other 7 that hatched. I do have one other hen that just went broody, probably jealous of the hen with the babies, even though they are separate. I think I am going to give this new broody the chicks I am currently hatching, I have a space for them.

it is a LOT!!!!!! I don't know what I am going to do. LOL trying to find a 2nd incubator that isn't going to be super expensive. and PRAY that I can sell quite a few chicks as straight run since I can't keep that many to raise either. LOL I may not set them all but then I worry that the ones I do set won't develop and I will have picked the wrong ones to set. out of the 36 eggs I am not even sure how many or what breeds. I had asked for 2 specific breeds and then just the rest that are blue, green or olive egg layers so who knows what I will get from those........
Stacker hatching??? I’ve seen some pretty easy homemade incubators too

Quick addition was wrong.....

So was getting eggs from 3 different people. Figured 6 CCL, 6 OE, then 12 shipped with a few breeds.... So total of 24.

Got 12 CCL, 9 OE (they both have extras), and the shipped ones was going to send 18 for a few extra but guess messed up packing first 18 so instead of unpacking then just packed up another 18 and sent all 36!!!!! For a grand total of 57 eggs!!!!

My incubator holds 22. Lol. When I got the CCL eggs and got 12 my plan was to give some to a broody and let her sit and replace clears/quitters with ones under her. Well don't see 57 making it down to 22. And while I have 2 broodys I don't trust one to hatch and not sure about other one but she has already been broody for 3-4 weeks so I don't want her going another 3 weeks.
You got your chicken egg math wrong? Sounds perfectly right to me! :lau

Stacker hatching??? I’ve seen some pretty easy homemade incubators too
I have stacked before and haven't had good rates anytime I stack even thought I hand turn. And we will be away so I need an auto turner. I think I may have found one I can borrow but it is only a 12 egg...... so that covers 34 eggs. LOL I may just buy one......

You got your chicken egg math wrong? Sounds perfectly right to me! :lau
I am not sure what to do.... Not that I think all will hatch but even an 80% hatch rate is 45. Heck even a 50% hatch rate is STILL 28/29! not sure I can find homes for that many! especially if half of them are roos! But afraid if I don't incubate all I will pick quitters or clears to incubate and not the good ones!!! LOL I hatched some from the OE lady before and of the 4 OE I got only 1 hatched.... BUT I only want to keep 1 pullet, got more in case that 1 isn't a pullet...... Hatched from the CCL lady but most of those were CCL/Isbar crosses (7/8) and hard to tell hatch rate as some got broken under my broody. :(

And almost every time I have amazing luck with the shipped eggs ladies eggs..... I have NO clue what she has sent me. I ordered some BB Brahma (got splash brahmas from these eggs last time), some project cochins (should lay green eggs) and then a mix of any blue, green or olive eggs...... But where she packed the first 18 wrong I don't now what is in there. LOL They SHOULD be here Wed!!!!!!

I will try to sell some ASAP as a straight run. I know someone that processes them so sure he would be happy to get more but he likes them off heat so where do I keep that many till they are off heat.. LOL freaking out a bit here.

Well I missed the first 2 little hatchers. 4 pipped today (day 20) and there was not a lot going on when I went to bed about 11. I set an alarm for 2 hours later and when I checked 2 were out and wobbling around! Both my son and I really wanted to see the hatch, this is our first incubator experience 😕 There are still 7 more eggs, a couple with pips so hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 3
Well I missed the first 2 little hatchers. 4 pipped today (day 20) and there was not a lot going on when I went to bed about 11. I set an alarm for 2 hours later and when I checked 2 were out and wobbling around! Both my son and I really wanted to see the hatch, this is our first incubator experience 😕 There are still 7 more eggs, a couple with pips so hopefully tomorrow.
Hopefully you get to see the rest hatch!

An explosion of chicks overnight! Some super fun colours when I was expecting all black (aside from Kevin’s chicks). We have a lot of chicks from my very favourite hen I hatched last year who passed a few weeks ago. She had the FLUFFIEST cheeks everrrrrr. It was so frustrating to watch her waste away 😭 We tried Corid, worming/topical pests, injected antibiotics… She was an EE mixed with no idea, black based partridgey kind of colour.

Hen options:
OE from Meyers, cuckoo Marans x CCL
WTB x BCM
EE x mystery roo

Roos:
BCM
Welsummer
Buff laced polish
I don't think my bantams are involved, but 🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

DCCD6766-4562-466E-AEAB-47B3358358BE.jpeg
DE764A8E-A457-476D-A676-0EC5A603C7CB.jpeg
6684694F-41D3-4CAF-BC59-FE8E69ABC907.jpeg