June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Candled my eggs last night. 6/7 I could definitely see an eye, the 7th one had an air sac but I couldn't tell for sure if there was anything else. I'll keep it in the bator for a few more days and try it again.

What day are you on?

I usually wait til day 10 to remove infertile eggs. And day 18 to remove quitters. Unless it’s super obvious that they are duds sooner.

Candled my Wheaten Marans yesterday (day 8) and pulled a clear. I was pretty sure I could see development in the remaining 9. The people that wanted me to hatch them are pretty sure they are going to take all of them.....so if I want some Wheaten Marans of my own, I guess I will have to hatch another batch. LOL!

What day are you on?

I usually wait til day 10 to remove infertile eggs. And day 18 to remove quitters. Unless it’s super obvious that they are duds sooner.

Today is day 8. It's a smaller egg than the rest of them, which I know doesn't mean it's infertile, but I've been wondering about it since I put it in the bator.

I also got 15 surprise eggs....so eventually going to have to break out my old incubator to hold everything. The surprise eggs will go into the old incubator and all the purchased eggs will go into the Hovabator and Janoel. My FIL was mowing the other day and mowed over a pheasant nest. The hen will not come back to the nest now that it is exposed...and especially now that he has touched them. He knew I had an incubator going so he brought them up. Put them in to at least give them a fighting chance at a life. I candled them and they looked like they were around day 4 give or take. Now to build a hoop coop to keep them in.

I just put some spangled hamburg eggs under my black copper maran, Cyan. It's her first time but hopefully she'll stay on them. She's got food and water, and is separated from the flock. She is so far trying to find a way out, but the eggs were warm when I checked. Good luck with your hatch-a-longs everyone.

(Cyan is the chicken in my profile picture)

For giggles I candled my lavender Americanna eggs I set very early Friday morning (we are talking like 3am setting time). I wasn’t expecting to see anything in them but did see what seemed like red lines in some and true spider veins in 4 of the seven.

nothing in any of the death layers yet. Not going to upset if none of the surprise eggs don’t develop but hopefully some of the ones I paid for will.

Three of the four Welsummer eggs I've got set are developing nicely but there's one I'm not sure on so I'm leaving it for now since they are due in a week anyway.

When do people decide to sell chicks or keep them? I'm stuck between that or expanding the run and keeping the hens.

Oh I wanted to ask. So one of my eggs has their air cell on the side but still toward the top flat end. Why does that happen?

My eggs are from my backyard and I set that particular one 3 days after it was laid. Granted I didn’t take care of them as hatching eggs since They were meant for food until last minute I incubated them instead. I don’t think I put em in the fridge at all.

Attached is a pic. I’m not worried, just curious. (Today is day 7)
View attachment 2159106
I have two of them out of 70 eggs in the bator. Yup it happens, I don't do anything different for it until I place it in lockdown. I make sure the cell is up.

Back
Top Bottom