June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Is anyone else a newbie to this and starting to get both excited and nervous?

On another note, are ISA browns and RIRs sex linked?

Hatch-a-longs are open to newbies and experienced hatchaholics alike! I'm confident there will be others new to hatching as well.
I believe ISA Browns are Sexlinks but RIRs are not.

Is anyone else a newbie to this and starting to get both excited and nervous?

On another note, are ISA browns and RIRs sex linked?
An ISA Brown is a sex link. A RIR is not. Or did you mean an ISA Brown crossed with a RIR? In that case, it's a big nope.

My end of Day 15 report:
I candled mine today on Day 15, though I intended to only "spot candle" a few of them. All 20 have dancing Brahma babies in there and some were really boogieing up a storm! I don't think I missed one. So, started with 25, 4 infertiles at first candling, removed one quitter after the first week and now, 20 seem to be doing well.

Are you still updating the thread? I am not getting notifications... I have some sexable chicks at 3 day and three weeks. Can I hold the three week olds, do you know if the are magnetic enough. (I am pretty polorizing). 😁

I had wondered why I hadn't seen you over there. :) Yes I'm still updating the thread. Mostly just updating the spreadsheet when I re-do the test to make sure nothing has changed. Still waiting to see some combs/waddles/feathers to help with sexing. There are a couple other people that have joined in. One with some auto sexing ducks and one that has sent in for DNA tests for gender of their ducks too. Biggest things I have found so far is that you cannot hold the chicks (even at 3 weeks I have had the reading altered by holding them) and that a nail/ring won't move over a dead egg (after day 5).

Well... is there a quantity requirement? I have a broody that I was able to successfully move to a better location (finally!) without her freaking out. She seems to be committed to sitting. She started yesterday. It's only 3 eggs tho so not many. She (and I) are complete newbs to this.

Nope, no quantity limitations.

Well... is there a quantity requirement? I have a broody that I was able to successfully move to a better location (finally!) without her freaking out. She seems to be committed to sitting. She started yesterday. It's only 3 eggs tho so not many. She (and I) are complete newbs to this.
There’s no quantity requirement. I can’t wait to see your chicks

Thank you all. This was a total impulse thing. I didn't do anything to the eggs. I just picked out 3 and rolled with it. They are all blue/blueish. So they are either from my Ameraucana or Easter Egger. They are the only 2 that will lay blue eggs. The rooster is a Porcelain Booted Bantam. So barnyard mixes but should be interesting nonetheless. I didn't even candle them before putting them under her. :he So after, what, a week I should candle to see if there is development?

Thank you all. This was a total impulse thing. I didn't do anything to the eggs. I just picked out 3 and rolled with it. They are all blue/blueish. So they are either from my Ameraucana or Easter Egger. They are the only 2 that will lay blue eggs. The rooster is a Porcelain Booted Bantam. So barnyard mixes but should be interesting nonetheless. I didn't even candle them before putting them under her. :he So after, what, a week I should candle to see if there is development?

Depending on the color of the shell and how bright your candler is, you should be able to see which eggs are viable after a week, yes! Good luck!

I just looked in my coop this evening and I have 4 more broody hens! :th

Back
Top Bottom