June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Yesterday I had to mercy kill a quail chick and today my husband found one of my turkeys dead... hope no one has anymore losses.
I lost a couple of littles two days ago because I forgot that corners are a dangerous place to allow them to crowd into to sleep. :oops: It had never happened to me before. I won't forget again. Life is like that, but I believe all good things are forever, so I don't allow myself to stress over it too much.

Anyone tell me how you clean your coops with a broody Duck in it? I have one that will have been sitting for a week diligently on Thursday but the coop needs to be cleaned and I don’t want to break my broody.

I cleaned under the perches and put a layer of clean shaving on top of everything else. I also normally put my broodies out of the coop by the feeder to encourage them to take a break while I do a quick clean. I can't ever seem to do a deep clean while they're in there because they finish their break faster than I can clean but it's better than nothing.

It's day 19. I'm super impatient. I saw some rocking earlier, but nothing in a few hours. Trying not to freak out.
The littles are working hard to break out, but they need little nap times, too. They'll be back at it once they've sipped more yolk and absorbed more of their blood, and rested enough to get back to work.

I lost a couple of littles two days ago because I forgot that corners are a dangerous place to allow them to crowd into to sleep. :oops: It had never happened to me before. I won't forget again. Life is like that, but I believe all good things are forever, so I don't allow myself to stress over it too much.

I'm so sorry! I just happened to see one of my chicks pinned in a bizarre position between the brooder wall and the heat plate this afternoon. I've been putting the heat plates up against the wall forever and I've never seen one do that before. A couple hundred chicks, poults, quail, goslings, peachicks and they STILL manage to catch you off guard when you think you have your method down pat!

Yeah, this sounds like a situation where you should give them a little helping hand. They're stuck because they're dry.

Stucky #2 made it out no worse for wear and is bumbling around, but #1 isn't doing so hot. Anything else I can do about the glued down piece of dried up membrane? It hasn't softened at all and the poor bub is trying to move around but failing miserably. Can't tell if it's also a wry neck, or just weak and tired from being stuck so long, but I've set it in a cup for now because it keeps flopping onto it's back and getting stuck on the membrane like a turtle shell. At least this way it can stay right side up and rest.

Animal husbandry means you have to be the father, and do the heavy lifting. I have had to mercy kill a chicken if they had an issue, being that these are my project, I would never ask my DH to take care of them. (He never could anyhow, he is dear.) I am sorry you had to take care of your quail. But you have others to give your attentions to now.

Also, that is one of the things that farm girls have to do, that is why we are tougher and wear our big girl panties.

Stucky #2 made it out no worse for wear and is bumbling around, but #1 isn't doing so hot. Anything else I can do about the glued down piece of dried up membrane? It hasn't softened at all and the poor bub is trying to move around but failing miserably. Can't tell if it's also a wry neck, or just weak and tired from being stuck so long, but I've set it in a cup for now because it keeps flopping onto it's back and getting stuck on the membrane like a turtle shell. At least this way it can stay right side up and rest.

I've had success with using Vaseline on dried stuck on membrane before but sometimes a q-tip and warm water gently coaxing the membrane away from the fluff where it's holding the chick in an odd position. You don't want the chick contorted from dried membrane for too long...If it's just a small piece in an area that isn't hurting the chick you can just let it fall of with time but it doesn't sound like that's the case in this situation. Pictures would be helpful.

I've had success with using Vaseline on dried stuck on membrane before but sometimes a q-tip and warm water gently coaxing the membrane away from the fluff where it's holding the chick in an odd position. You don't want the chick contorted from dried membrane for too long...If it's just a small piece in an area that isn't hurting the chick you can just let it fall of with time but it doesn't sound like that's the case in this situation. Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks, I will see what I can do. If I can't help it along I'll try to get some pictures.

I just ordered 2 dozen more shipped eggs Mauve English Orpingtons, Buff English Orpingtons, and Isabella Leghorns. Then 18 Olive Eggers locally ... Someone needs to stop me! View attachment 2173457:lau
Uh oh. I've been conversing across several different threads with you for a little while now...please tell me this is not contagious!! :fl 😳

Back
Top Bottom