June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Our final chick hatched yesterday, day 22. She needed lots of help as she had pipped early and wasn't quite ready to hatch when I decided to assist. That's two out of 13 that I assisted on. The first one was ready and slightly shrink-wrapped so I was able to give her just enough help to let her finish up. The last one wasn't ready yet. So I kept coconut oil on her membrane and kept checking until all the blood vessels dried up. Then I freed her head and she did the rest. Here's a pic of the
IMG_20200603_070915.jpg
babies from my first hatch. I'm a content mamma hen... :)

Waiting for my hatching eggs...they shipped on Monday but still not here. 😭

Did you sign up for informed delivery on USPS so you can monitor the package more easily? You can do the same with the tracking number but I like informed delivery because it's easy to look up anything coming to your address even without tracking info.

If it was shipped priority it's not unusual for it to take 2-3 days. Mine was shipped yesterday and says it will arrive Saturday but last time it arrived Friday so hopefully that happens again!

I’m not expecting anything to hatch until June 14th. So I’ll see everyone else’s chicks while I wait for mine.
That seems to be the hard thing for me. Waiting..... I hatched some out on Memorial Day and have more hatching at the end of the week, but this last week without anything has been hard. I almost want to set so I have some hatching every week.:oops: So I just spend a lot of time on here and in my garage where my brooder is watching the littles run around and grow. Tomorrow my 6 week olds get to be integrated into the coop. They have been out there for the last week in a wire cage getting to know everyone, so tomorrow will be test day because I am off work. Makes me a little nervous. These chicks will be introduced to my silkie group for now, they are almost the same size so I don't think it will be too bad.:fl

Silver laced polish hatched yesterday 😍 under broody hen (day 20)

There is 5 more eggs, and they’ve reached day 21 today but don’t hear anything... when do I panic? Should I candle?

View attachment 2174455
Leave them till day 22 then candle. I wouldn’t disturb a broody too much.

I had a my little Black East Indie lone hatchling finished the zip and just needed a hair of help with the cap. It’s currently finishing up in the incubator while I figure out what to do with this baby.

I mean I have a group of babies with my Aztecs but they will be a week older with the oldest in that group being the singleton survivor black East Indie that will be a week and a half-ish almost two weeks. Think the baby could survive in that group?
I gave my month-old goslings to my quad of geese, to go with the one brand new hatchling they had managed to produce. They accepted all eight of them and little-bit just trots along behind as fast as his little trotters can trot. So cute. :love They've been doing this for several weeks now, all over our place, in the pond, in the little creek, back and forth over 12.5 acres. That little guy is gonna be a Navy SEAL goose or sumpthin-like when he grows up.

Our final chick hatched yesterday, day 22. She needed lots of help as she had pipped early and wasn't quite ready to hatch when I decided to assist. That's two out of 13 that I assisted on. The first one was ready and slightly shrink-wrapped so I was able to give her just enough help to let her finish up. The last one wasn't ready yet. So I kept coconut oil on her membrane and kept checking until all the blood vessels dried up. Then I freed her head and she did the rest. Here's a pic of the View attachment 2174402babies from my first hatch. I'm a content mamma hen... :)
Is that a leg wrap pad under the chicks? Excellent idea!
Congrats on all the cute little fluffys. :love

I would separate with a view for at least a week. Little ones are easy to kill for even the one week older chicks. So the time is to let them get their legs and to make them "normal".

I am going to try to integrate with a three-week difference in about a week. Not sure how long I will just let them look at each other. :)
I know ducks and geese are different--I have both--but with my geese, this is what I did:

One goose was out alone (before any of their eggs hatched). Seeing her, I wondered what would happen if she were to see a gosling. I had eight in a brooder, so I brought one out and set it down. She saw it and immediately started hissing at me, "driving" me back. 🤣 She spread those big wings over the baby as if to claim him as her own, and started herding him away from me. I hurried and got two more, which greatly excited her. She did the same thing again.

She seemed to be herding them toward the coop. (It's a round-about route, so not for certain yet.) One of the other females came out to meet her and helped bring the babies in to where the third was sitting on eggs, watched over by the gander. They took my babies away from me. All of them. When their one successfully hatched gosling joined the group, and they brought everyone out after a day, I released the remaining five in their presence, too. All grafted and done.

I have another four (one hatched so far) I'm thinking about trying them with, but that really WILL be a big discrepancy. I'll probably keep them a week in the brooder (at least), then see whether they'll take them. They're amazing parents.

Back
Top Bottom