Just curious!

Very interesting!!! I'll check it out but right now, I'm finding a lot of holistic cures and preventions and it's all DIY! Will KEEP that in mind, however...so please do not think you sent that to me in vain! :) Back in a few days? weeks? with update! :thumbsup

Am also going to make a dusting area in the cove for them....pure ash from our hard wood only fire pit AND the other natural items (sprays, water additives, etc) that I can easily and safely prepare for them. I'll be back as soon as possible with pics of her and how I got lice/mite free! :yesss:

Linda here just in:
another person complaining that natural ways..including the poultry protecter you mentioned above just does not work.
Read this post:#185

I have a hen named Henrietta! She is a Columbian Rock though, I have two hens that look just like yours but their names are Lilly and Peaches. Your hens are very pretty!

It wasn't until I had my tiny bantam hen inside (in my laundry) sitting on some eggs for me that I discovered mites on her. And that was because the infestation was very bad and they had nowhere to hide - out in the big coop it was awful. It was a nightmare, and she actually died a couple of months after I got everyone clean and I have to wonder if it was from the mites. I was heart broken (still am) because she was my favourite. She was just the sweetest.

Mites are carried by wild birds, rats, wild rabbits etc. I'm pretty sure mine came from the rats that live round the water way that runs through the bottom of our property. Every time they turn up, so do the mites and I have just repainted my coop with neem recently, despite the fact that it's winter in my part of the world.

Those black spots by her eye and near her ear are the mites. They are tiny (she was an Old English Game Bantam which are more pigeon sized than your typical chicken size).
Poor Pixie.jpg

As for handling your chickens, if necessary it's better to do it at night as they are more docile when they can't see. But if it's these kinds of mites that hide in your coop, treating your coop rather than your birds is the way to go.

We don't have those types of fleas in New Zealand, and these things were all through her nest and crawling all over her eggs. I couldn't believe I'd missed the warning signs before it turned into a full on infestation. I used Vetafarm Insect Liquidator on them (safe to use on finch eggs and newly hatched chicks) and that knocked them off pretty quick. Now I am hyper vigilant as I do not want to have to deal with that nightmare again.

We don't have those types of fleas in New Zealand, and these things were all through her nest and crawling all over her eggs. I couldn't believe I'd missed the warning signs before it turned into a full on infestation. I used Vetafarm Insect Liquidator on them (safe to use on finch eggs and newly hatched chicks) and that knocked them off pretty quick. Now I am hyper vigilant as I do not want to have to deal with that nightmare again.
Just checking...I came across that picture and it reminded me of the one you had posted.

First of, I will start by saying LG and KisKis, You where being quite rude to Linda V, When she was just trying to get advice.

Linda V, I didn't read all of this, But from what I hear is your girl has Mites or Lice.
Your water setup and plain is great!I bet they love the scrambled eggs, I know mine do!
Anyway, I have to find it again, but there is a BYC member on here, @pipdzipdnreadytogo , Who used a Dog and cat tick and flea stuff to get rid of mites are.If tha tag worked, Could you please remind me what you used, Pipd?

Good luck!
-CC1215

Hey, You aren't being rude!I get it, Ya have to go, You have to go, Right? :D

Yes, I will read it ASAP!I have to go to a Libary today because I am taking part in a Fourth Of July parade, and I have to drop some things off :)

Aww, Poor little Abigail!
Good luck!

-CC1215

P.S.I LOVE Barred Rocks.

Linda you need to get some vaseline and coat their legs with it to smother the leg mites.
Garlic will not get rid of the mites.

Back
Top Bottom