Just got 2 butt plucking ducks and Im not sure what to do

Oct 21, 2019
I have two rouen ducks (one hen one drake), and I have had to separate them because they attack each others.... welll...... "fluff buns". thats the only thing they peck at at least, and now there is a patch of bare bottom on both. I can tell that the drake is just a horny little toe biting bastard but i can't say that my female is all to into it. I think the tail biting has stopped now but I face a patchy plucked looking bum on both of my darlings. It looks like its bothering them both and i am wondering if there is any cure for an ache butthole in the duck world? im new at this, so im learning as I go. I have already read a lot on this forum but nothing on butt biting behavior, nor how to treat a duck bitten butt. someone please enlighten me because I am at a loss for words. its funny and cute at first but the area in question just looks sore and I'd like to be sure they are perfectly painless. after close inspection, nothing looks infected, just inflamed.

ps before anyone asks, yes, in the future, I'll be getting more hens to even out the playing field for my handsome little butthole of a drake but not right now.

Since you mention that you are new I thought you might like to know that ducks can't have lidocaine or other medications ending in caine. Sometimes it is in Neosporin or other antibiotic ointments as a pain reliever.

When my duck had an injury on her bill, butt, and foot, her vet was very specific to get a triple antibiotic cream without a pain reliever. Though, my vet usually recommends silver sulfadiazine cream for moderate to serious skin trauma and sometimes bag balm for minor irritation.

My ducks are pets so I go to the vet when they stub a toe...

Back
Top Bottom