Just got baby chicks and the heat lamp burned out!

I stopped using the 250watt infra red bulbs back in March. This time of year, 100watt flood lamp bulbs produce plenty of heat. In fact, on warm days, when the ambient temperatures are in the low 80's, even a 60 watt can produce too much heat, especially when mounted close to the chicks and the sides of the brooder contain the heat well.

These are decorative red flood lamps. 100 watts. Sold at many big box stores. These have replaced the need for the energy sucking, too hot 250 watt infr red bulbs for 90% of my brooding needs. It makes no sense to spin your electric meter with a 250 watt bulb when brooding in place that is quite warm to begin with. We see folks raise those hot bulbs up 2 and 3 feet so that only about 20% of the heat reaches the chicks. Why not lower the wattage instead and save energy.

If the chicks are huddled together under the light and chirping loudly and continuously, they're cold. If they're moving around eating, pooping and not saying much, they're fine.

I use incandescent bulbs (NOT safety coated-can be toxic) of 60-100 watts, both red (reptile bulb) and white.
I use a thermometer to get it close, then go by observation of chick behavior.
I use a dimmer extension cord to adjust heat output, very handy.

Sometimes chicks just cheep loudly, they get a little scared or startled - give their alarm call - then calm back down.

OK. Well the lamp wasn't kicking out much heat. I tried to take the heat lamp bulb out and it worked so I put a different normal bulb in and now it's heating up better. I have a reptile heat lamp, but my lizards need it. I held it up to see what would happen and the chicks started falling asleep! So I think they were a little cool. Ok, so anyway the chicks are starting to be happier because the temp is starting to get warmer. I put a temp gauge in and it said 70, but now it's up to 97. Oh and hope I don't need to do this, but if one of the chicks turns out to be a boy then I get to exchange it for another chick. So now I feel like I have insurance.

Last edited:
Use a thermometer to check heat for chicks--don't guess, crowding or leaving the spot under the lamp is not a good guess for temperature. 95degrees first week, and down about 5 degrees a week until well feathered and your ambient Temperature is suitable for them.

HEAT LAMPS are a danger for fire, cooking chicks, and simply inefficient to heat an area comfortably. HOT right underneath--not warm enough off the edges.

Glad they are not yet removing incandesant bulbs, but may be hard to find. 40s, 60s, 75s, will heat a large area. Even 100s may be too hot for small areas. Got a few boxes of bulbs, just in case..... USE a thermometer to KNOW how warm you are keeping your chicks. And if you are in a really warm climate, and pens are not in a bright area--flourescent bulbs are fine for just light--and on timers will keep feahered chicks happy. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks! I got a heat lamp yesterday and the chicks are doing great!!! I just hope that the striped one is a girl! I might just have to go back and pick up a chick that I'm more sure about. I don't want to get too attached to it and then have to give it away!

Back
Top Bottom