Just Got My Silkie Female!

Beautiful chick!! When you say you just got her - did you buy her locally from somewhere? She's probably just really tired from a) being new and b) being through alot in such a short time. I could have sworn silkies had black or charcoal, or at least greyish beaks. Ours have black ones along with black skin. Yours has a flesh colored beak and appears to have lighter skin as well, rather than dark. I'm wondering what kind of Silkie you have there, because it's very interesting! I didn't think they were available with a flesh colored beak and lighter skin?? I'm very curious to see it grow up, so please post update pictures as it grows! =D

I will! and im not sure but the woman i got (Her) from said it was a Female, so i guess we will have to wait but i'm going for a female, i will keep you updated and i have no idea of her coloring, my grandmother has black ones so not sure why this one is lighter ill look it up! Adios Amegos!

And yes she was locally bought, Fifty Dolars For The Large (Kennel) 10 feet by 10 feet when she gets bigger ill put her out in that, And i got the feed included, so altogether the set was 50 dollars, and this little chick so adorable i bought for 10 dollars, (Don't ask why i wen't for that price :/ i guess the woman didn't want to part with a new chick.)

I think she could use some company and in all honesty it doesn't *have* to be another silkie or even a bantam, it just has to be a very nice, polite and friendly chicken, because Silkies are well known as non-aggressive and most will just sit there and take it if another chicken bullies them. Silkies also like to sleep in piles of fluff on the floor rather than on a roost usually (or so I am told). I would get her another little Silkie companion, so they are similar in natural preferences; but that's just my opinion. She'd also probably do very well with a cochin or bantam cochin, or even a brahma or bantam brahma as both are friendly breeds generally speaking. Really...any breed will be fine as long as it is friendly. Friendly chickens come in ALL breeds, not just the breeds that are predisposed to be friendly. =)

...I so need to sleep.

Bantams are small poultry rather than large fowl, so honestly, depending on the bantam you get, he or she will not be much larger than your Silkie, if at all. :) Some bantam breeds are larger than others, but mainly they're all pretty much the same with regard to size.

Unless you plan on getting a rooster to breed to her, size doesn't matter at all...temperament does. If you want a rooster to breed with your Silkie you should be getting either another Silkie or a bantam rooster small in stature with a good temper. If you're NOT getting a rooster and you just want another hen to keep her company - size matters nothing at all and friendliness is everything.

I had a huge (and I mean huge as in massively huge) Welsummer chick (large fowl chicken) in with a very tiny blue silkie on my first hatch. The Welsummer was easily three times her size and she never hurt her at all. She nestled in with her, cuddled with her and snuggled, but never even attempted to peck at or bully her, and she could have easily killed her with one swoop. She even took more time stepping around her than she did with the chicks her own size. Temperament is everything.

I think if you are going to get her a companion it should be soon so they are easier to introduce, and so they are raised with each other. Chickens will *always* have a pecking order and always go through that awkward "establishment" phase where they decide who is boss. But - if you raise chicks together from very very young (a week or so or less) then it has been proven that the pecking order establishment is not nearly as brutal as it is if they are introduced when older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom