Kalmbach Feed - Any Reviews?

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
I have had chickens for 4 years now and I have always fed them Purina. To begin with I fed Layena when I only had layers and then switched to Flock Raiser once I had a mixed flock (age & gender).

I have ducklings and have been feeding them Purina Duck Feed (pellets that I grind up a bit for them.) I plan on feeding them this for 6-8 weeks before switching them over to the same feed I feed my chickens. One feed will be much easier since they will basically be all together.

I have been pleased with Purina FR, but I really want a pellet instead of a crumble and possibly something that may be a bit cheaper. I have 33 chickens and 5 ducklings. Most of my eggs I just give away to family, friends and neighbors, so the cost of feed is just an additional expense of my household. It’s not necessary, but I’d like to f possible. (Think of this from a woman who doesn’t work and depends on her DH to purchase feed...what I can successfully save here I can spend there! All for my birds, of course. See my point?)

I cannot find Purina FR in pellet form anywhere; however, Kalmbach does make a 20% Flock Maker in pellet and crumble...and it’s a tiny bit cheaper. (It is not my intention to change to an inferior product in order to save money.)

Here is the analysis information on Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker:
84B8F5E3-6376-4D90-82C9-44FB6EE55EFC.jpeg
260A94ED-795E-4921-AD7B-03EBFEB23DCB.jpeg

It does not include Niacin in the guaranteed analysis, only in the ingredients.

Here is the breakdown on the Purina Duck Feed.
55AC375C-27D3-480D-8A05-C961854782FC.jpeg

I know that I’ll have to add Brewers Yeast to the duck feed when I finally change the ducks over to either the Purina FR or the Kalmbach FM.

Has anyone had any experience (good and/or bad) with the Kalmbach Feed brand? Their label says they’ve been around since 1963 (almost as old as me), but I’ve never heard of them. Then again, I’ve only been feeding fowl for four years.

Any foresight is helpful and much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

We feed Kalmbach all-flock and are happy with it. We only have chickens. We’ve tried other brands, and have noticed the birds doing better on Kalmbach. The pellets are fairly uniform in length, and at the bottom of the bag there remains only a small amount of fines. We’ve been feeding Kalmbach for over 1 year. But we’ve had chickens over two years and quail before that, so we’ve used several brands of feed.

I do not generally buy the Purina feeds for a few reasons: it is a bit pricier bc I can only get it at TSC, I’ve seen bugs flying around the feed aisle at TSC (but not typical), so I don’t want to bring feed bugs home, and I’ve gotten a bad bag of Purina before, so would rather not have that hassle. However, the Purina is a good brand, and I would be ok with that feed.

the Kalmbach is an Ohio company, and seems like we get good dates from the feed store (I’m in western Ohio). I’ve been to a presentation by a Kalmbach feed scientist, and it was an informative presentation.

I realize the advertising for the Kalmbach feed says that it is for ducks, and all other poultry types as well, but is it really? All by itself or with additional niacin?
Let me clear this up for you.. I hope. :)

I have used both feeds..

Kalmbach once (100# chicken starter) since it is a more regional feed and not available in my area on a regular basis.. it smelled good, yes it did! :drool I would totally use it again, and try the 20% "flock maker".

Purina flock raiser is what I've fed for years now since making the switch away from layer for all the same reasons (mixed gender, age, species). It's readily available, freshly milled, with good results. I DID use it for raising ducklings from start through finish. Niacin is not required to be listed on the guaranteed analysis for poultry feed by law and is often not included either. I contacted Purina and they replied the FR has 55mg/kg of niacin.. which is enough for *most* ducklings.. Jumbo Pekin may need more. No, I never personally saw angel wing or leg issues. I too have gotten bad bags of feed from Purina, I buy a LOT. 1 batch I got 3/5 were returned to the store (which is WHY I think they quit selling pellets as it's easier to hide smaller moldy pieces in crumble) There was no outer moisture damage to package and it was in the center of the bag (I'm SURE things happen occasionally, and haven't had cause for concern since), who also owns/makes many other brands including Nature Wise and Dumor.

By law in the US, feeds MUST be labeled with the species and age range the feed is appropriate for where the feeding directions are. Not the same as what may be pictured on the front. That means they meet the MINIMUM nutrient guidelines set by AAFCO??... not the ideal, preferred, maximum, or best nutritional value... just good enough for the industry at large. (Big Chicken)

I would say... one key to how well (all) birds do that should not be overlooked when comparing feeds is specifically amino acids content.

For me... there are 2 Purina mills in California that I know of. It's either that, Wature Wise, or Dumor. I prefer the Purina and it's with 1 cent per # difference for the same approximate formulation.

I know that I’ll have to add Brewers Yeast to the duck feed when I finally change the ducks over to either the Purina FR or the Kalmbach FM.
No, I disagree (and never did)... unless nutrients are also being diminished by excess treats or as mentioned above Jumbo Pekin breed. But I would consider contacting Kalmbach and asking how much niacin if it isn't listed on the bag, tag or @Kiki feed comparison thread already.

The only issue I had was not with Kalmbach Feeds it self but the place I purchased from had old stock.
I had that issue even with the Purina flock raiser at one of my (very small) LFS. I no longer shop there with reason, unfortunately. She ordered by the pallet but without the turnover it was 6+ months past mill date. Fresh stock and volume turn over are definitely key in my experience with feed choices and dictate them heavily. I always look at dates and not afraid to change feed or say something to store keeper if needed. While some nutrients may be stabilized, most will be diminishing with time... and more rapidly when exposed to light, air, heat, moisture, etc. So storage conditions may be a factor, especially in hot regions warehouses, trucking, even your garage, etc.

I mostly share my eggs also. But it sure feels fantastic when someone brings by some homemade cookies or bread, some fresh caught and cleaned fish, homemade jam or ice cream, fresh garden fruits and veggies.. even dog treats.

But ducks ate me out of house and home (possibly breed related), so weren't for me in the end. Still was a wonderful adventure, such cool animals loaded with character and so different than chickens. :cool:

Happy adventures! :wee

ETA: Ducks and game birds have higher nutrient needs than chickens starting out.. no way in hell (sorry) would I feed that to start turkeys with.. and seeing it makes me. :he Now I need to know.. that's throwing major red flags about being an unscrupulous company... I don't know WHAT the law says, but turkeys do need more protein than that from EVERYTHING I've read. :confused:
http://www.poultryhub.org/nutrition/nutrient-requirements/nutrient-requirements-of-turkeys/

But, it *looks* fine for ducks.. again make contact and ask for a complete analysis.

Here is duck nutrition info, and a good general resource...
https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=25222325

Last edited:
@Mimi13 In my opinion Kalmbach Feed is superior to Purina so you are not skimping by any means. I have personally used the Kalmbach flock maker in pellet and it is a great feed. I no longer have Turkeys so I went back to a chicken feed. The only issue I had was not with Kalmbach Feeds it self but the place I purchased from had old stock.

@Mimi13 In my opinion Kalmbach Feed is superior to Purina so you are not skimping by any means. I have personally used the Kalmbach flock maker in pellet and it is a great feed. I no longer have Turkeys so I went back to a chicken feed. The only issue I had was not with Kalmbach Feeds it self but the place I purchased from had old stock.
Yes, OLD FEED! A real pet peeve of mine. I have visited several different TSCs trying to find fresh feed. And by fresh I mean a mill date < 3 months old. :mad:

Yes, OLD FEED! A real pet peeve of mine. I have visited several different TSCs trying to find fresh feed. And by fresh I mean a mill date < 3 months old. :mad:
I will say my local TSC has fresh mill dates for the most part.
Luckily I have several mom and pops around to help support and also carry what I feel is a higher quality feed for the same if not cheaper. I really wanted to stay with Kalmbach but was really ticked off with the last batch I picked up. I specifically ask if it was fresh they said yes we get it every week. I should have checked before I left. When I got home I looked and it was just over 6 months old. I took it back. Long story short the person tried telling me I wasn’t able to determine the mill date. To keep it short I decided to educate her on how to read a date code on a feed bag. I think they were embarrassed about it to be honest. Won’t be going back there unless needed.

Just wondering if you are still using this? I switched to kalmbach a couple bags ago. They really like it! They seem to eat more of it than what I was using (Dumor..I know it's not the greatest but they also have alot of free range)
The only thing is some of my gals have some pretty messy poos. It has been 90 here and they they alot of watermelon. I want to switch to the non-GMO. What I am really wondering is it worth it and has anyone had problems switching to this brand specifically. Not to steal your thread😁

Funny you mention the muffin smell! I thought it smelled like Raman Noodles:)
THATS IT! Like the beef packet or something. I enjoy the smell..whatever it is🤣
Yeah, the feed never smelled like muffin mix to me. It had a spice mix smell to me. Almost like the dressing I make for Thanksgiving! :drool Alrighty, I’m hungry now!

Kalmbach is great feed.
No I am no longer using it because of how old the feed was at my supplier. I now use Poulin Grain which I can get fresh.
See there wasnt a mill date on the bottom of my bag this past time and I thought that was odd. They have a boy who puts it in your vehicle so, I dont get to pick it out.
We are switching feed stores and the new one has the non gmo. I of course also dont want to go broke feeding them either. If they keep having messy poops I'm switching back to Dumor unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom