Pics
I usually run my brinsea at 40-45% during incubation and boost it up a bit when I see the first tiny pip. The chicks hatching will spike the humidity on their own.

This past summer I had two or three broodies that deserted their eggs within 24 hours of one another, the little witches. I had no other broodies available so I put the eggs in the incubator. I figured they were about day 14 when that happened. 3 of the 5 eggs hatched. 2 had quit about day 14-15. All had really weird air cells and thick, sticky membranes. The overall heat and humidity outside was quite high during those first 14 days so I still wonder if me bringing them in and the humidity being better managed in the incubator didn't have an impact on the hatch rate.

Hi @KDOGG331:frow

I usually run my brinsea at 40-45% during incubation and boost it up a bit when I see the first tiny pip. The chicks hatching will spike the humidity on their own.

This past summer I had two or three broodies that deserted their eggs within 24 hours of one another, the little witches. I had no other broodies available so I put the eggs in the incubator. I figured they were about day 14 when that happened. 3 of the 5 eggs hatched. 2 had quit about day 14-15. All had really weird air cells and thick, sticky membranes. The overall heat and humidity outside was quite high during those first 14 days so I still wonder if me bringing them in and the humidity being better managed in the incubator didn't have an impact on the hatch rate.

Hi @KDOGG331:frow

Thanks! This is really helpful. I didn’t think about the chicks spiking it on their own.

And huh! That is really interesting! So do you think you improved it then? Like they might not have hatched if you hadn’t brought them in?

And hi!! Glad you found my thread! :D

Ohhhh okay. I think I’m gonna try that too haha

:lau

Maybe but it does seem crazy high. I’m gonna try to dry hatch this time haha
I just know that one I did between 60 and 65, we had a lot of sticky chicks and I lost 9 of the 30...

I had one that didn't hatch even on day 23 and when I opened up the egg for an egg-topsy, it was alive (barely), it never internally pipped and all my eggs were set at the same time.

I just know that one I did between 60 and 65, we had a lot of sticky chicks and I lost 9 of the 30...

I had one that didn't hatch even on day 23 and when I opened up the egg for an egg-topsy, it was alive (barely), it never internally pipped and all my eggs were set at the same time.

Oh wow that is awful :hit :hugs

Definitely seems it could be humidity then but idk.

Thanks! This is really helpful. I didn’t think about the chicks spiking it on their own.

And huh! That is really interesting! So do you think you improved it then? Like they might not have hatched if you hadn’t brought them in?

And hi!! Glad you found my thread! :D
Ask @Texas Kiki about the condensation that was on my incubator lid because I put it up to 65 and then it spiked like crazy when they started coming out. The top was literally dripping!

That's why I'm doing no water...

Ask @Texas Kiki about the condensation that was on my incubator lid because I put it up to 65 and then it spiked like crazy when they started coming out. The top was literally dripping!

That's why I'm doing no water...

Oh wow that sounds terrible!!

No water at all or just not till the end?

I'd definitely lower the humidity throughout the first 18 days too.

Back
Top Bottom