Keeping a chicken with knee injury

Peep boy

Songster
Jul 20, 2015
St. Stephen, MN
Hello. I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with keeping a flock with a physically handicapped chicken. I have a lavender Orpington pullet who developed a knee injury last week. It isn't going away, and I want to know if she can long term survive. I am going to fight to help her survive until she cannot do normal chicken things anymore. If anyone has experience, I would love to hear. Thanks!

:hugs I KNOW YOU LUV YOUR PETS LIKE I LUV MINE.
I took care of one of my handicapped chickens for about 2 years. She was blind as result of dog attack. She left when she was 11 years old.:hit
I had to keep her separated from rest of flock. The standard size LF chickens would peck on her free,ranging. My lil banties did not seem to mind her and left her alone. You may have to separate your hen if pecking occurs. (chickens by nature peck on the weak) LIFE IS NOT FAIR....
Photo0045.jpg

She probably didn't know that she was caged. At night she slept on the coop floor. Rest of chickens were on roost. Was not bothered inside coop.:)

:hugs I KNOW YOU LUV YOUR PETS LIKE I LUV MINE.
I took care of one of my handicapped chickens for about 2 years. She was blind as result of dog attack. She left when she was 11 years old.:hit
I had to keep her separated from rest of flock. The standard size LF chickens would peck on her free,ranging. My lil banties did not seem to mind her and left her alone. You may have to separate your hen if pecking occurs. (chickens by nature peck on the weak) LIFE IS NOT FAIR....
View attachment 1130463
She probably didn't know that she was caged. At night she slept on the coop floor. Rest of chickens were on roost. Was not bothered inside coop.:)
Thank! In her situation, I think I'm going to leave her with the flock. She isn't getting picked on and can do all the important chicken things. She is quite the social bird, so I'm not sure she would do well not being able to interact freely. I'm sorry you lost your baby.

I will keep her confined if she does get picked on. Occasionally she will get stuck on her side and can't get up. :( I am also wondering if euthanasia is the most humane option in this situation. :(

I guess it can be done with containment enclosed with some dry ice. The dry ice turns into gas carbon dioxide and chicken even though breathing, does not get oxygen. :( Hope you can avoid that measure and somehow splint leg even with duck tape or such to keep her upright. Some things do not have nice solutions.:(

Thanks! Unfortunately, I believe her ACL is torn. I think it is a permanent condition. On Friday I noticed her right knee would just give out on her. She doesn't seem to be in extreme discomfort, but that doesn't say much.

Back
Top Bottom