Keeping chickens safe from my outdoor cat

Fletcher

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
central OH
I hope I'm asking in the right spot. We have an outdoor cat that we love ALOT! and he's our "barn" cat. We are going to get our chickens this summer and I really would like to let them out to free-range for at least a few hours a day. My problem is how to keep the mighty hunter cat from attacking my chickens. I'm planning on full size birds and not bantams, but no rooster.

I've seen alot about poultry netting for pasturing a flock, but I don't think DH will go for that just yet. We really would like to teach the cat to leave the birds alone. Is this something the chickens will teach him or will I loose a few before he gets tired of being pecked?

Thanks!

I think you need to rephrase that--- how do I keep cat safe from chickens... A few months ago, our dear barn cat's curiousity got the better of him, and he ventured into the chicken coop. All 6 of my ladies took off after him as though he were their next free meal!! It was soooo funny.... I wish i had my camera there to record it--I swear AFV would have paid me the 10K. Needless to say dear kitty doesn't go near the chickens anymore.

Quote:
big_smile.png
I was going to say the same thing. My cats do not touch my standard birds at all. They're afraid of them.
gig.gif
As SilkieChicken said, chicks are a different story. I have to keep the chicks in tractors or pens when I move them outside, or the cats will eat them. Bantam birds aren't really "safe" either.

Not all cats are afraid of chickens. I learned the hard way. I finally dispatched the cat responsible in the act of stalking my very large Chinese Goose.
But most especially don't trust a cat around chicks!
Neighbors dead cat killed 23 of my 4 week old chicks for fun.

I'm suprised a cat was chasing a goose, generally they do not stalk something bigger than they are. I'm suprised the goose wasn't terroizing the cat in return, geese are mean critters...

That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear, miss_thenorth! I'll grab the camera if I ever see Johnny headed for the coop! I do know that I have to keep him away from the chicks; they will be brooded in the garage and then probably moved to a tractor.

It's good to know that most cats (cross my fingers) don't bother chickens.

Our cats like to hang out with our 3 free ranging roosters. They're Easter Eggers and won't really make much of a meal, and I didn't need 5 roosters. We turned them out (they get fed) so that they could take their chances and eat the grasshoppers, rather than just killing them. They hang around in the barn with the cats and the cats are wary of them. They're about 12 weeks old, so fairly big now.

If you have full sized chickens, they will most likely put the cat in it's place. Chicks or bantams are another story. I strongly urge that if you intend to free range, have one rooster for protection of the flock. He will take care of the cat, alert the hens to seek cover in the event of predators and generally keep all the hens safe. They are magnificent creatures, always alert keeping an eye out for threats to his girls. In my flock, one small bantam roo keeps everybody in check, including the two full size Buff Orp roo's. He even announces bed time and everybody follows him the coop with no question in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom