Keeping dogs away

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coloradowildflower, May 16, 2009.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    We have some 6-week old babies and we built them a lovely British-styled chicken ark. They roost upstairs and run around in a fully wire-enclosed run downstairs. We put them out there this week and they're SO happy. We adore these chicks, by the way. They are SO much fun to watch. They're our only pets.

But . . . last night I was awakened by this terrible sound. This morning I saw, to my horror, that two very large, free-roaming dogs had literally BITTEN THROUGH THE WOOD of our ark!!! They came back for another try in the daylight and I ran them off with a big stick.

LUCKILY, they didn't make it in. Everyone is safe. I alerted their owner and she (who is a very nice lady, by the way) said they'd keep them tied. BUT, we don't have a fence and she doesn't have a fence and it would only take one slipping out of its collar before it was right back over here.

So, thoughts on how to keep the girls safe? I don't want the dogs anywhere near them. I don't want the dogs in my yard at all. What kind of deterrents have you found useful.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    A fence

3. coloradowildflower

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    [​IMG] Yes. I know a fence would work best. That's in the works. I'm thinking of putting up some cattle panels around the coop for now for a temporary fence. Any suggestions other than that?

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Wow. We built our coop and house from 2x4's - I can't imaging a dog biting through those . . . I can only imagine that the wood framing your run is of small dimension and of soft wood. . . sounds like a fence is in order, or you might want to consider re-construction, or perhaps electrification? I'm glad your chickens are ok, but you're right, those dogs will most likely be back. Good luck!

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    a bullet put in the right spot is guaranteed to keep them away for good.

6. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Strong voltage fencing.
    cheaper than a panel type fencing and it gives the dogs a very nasty surrise.

There should be laws written that people who own dogs MUST have them behind chain link fencing with a solid floor/edging so dig out isnt possible.

they make so many frivolous laws it seems to me that this one could be added to save other prperty owners from marauding dogs.

any dog capable of chewing through a wood and wire structure should be concidered dangerous.

7. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Since the owner of the dogs doesn't have a fence to keep her dogs in their own yard it would be best to quadruple chain them to make sure they don't break loose. I had a small dog which was a Miniature Poodle Mix and I wanted to keep him inside the house but my dad does not allow dogs because of his belief that they're dirty and unhealthy. For awhile I had kept the dog on the chain in my backyard and I had him loose out in my backyard to play and run then he went underneath the back fence and I kept calling him to come back and nope that dog just ignored me so I gave up on him and let him wander around in the back field. The next day I went to see if he would come back while I called my dog again and he never came back. A few days later I got a call from our local animal shelter from where I adopted him and thay said that someone found him and dropped him off in the shelter. So I had to drive over there to bring him back home. After a few weeks more that I had him since he was chained in my backyard one night he had some how gotten loose from his chain again and I had to chain him back on then a few hours had passed and I went to check on my dog if he was still chained. To my disappointment he was nowhere to be seen or found so I assumed that he had ran away from home again since I knew he wasn't obedient but I regret that I should have played with him alot more which was probably the reason he ran away from home

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I just had new renters move in next to me.
    I've had to start "shotgun" training their 2 Dobbies. A load of bird shot in the butt at 100 yards SO FAR seems to get the message across.
    Now I may have to "baseball bat" train the idiot renters.
    If need be, the 30-06 is close at hand. I will NOT lose another chicken to a dog or cat. When it comes to my chickens or someones pet on MY property, my chickens win.

9. coloradowildflower

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    I appreciate the suggestions! I can't stand the thought of losing any of my girls, and I feel like we were really lucky that the coop held up as well as it did.

The electric fence and the buckshot suggestions might work. That's what I'm hoping for: training the dogs to STAY AWAY!!! Because these dogs are aggressive enough that I don't think they'll give up easily.

Thanks again and keep em comin'![​IMG]

10. ChickenDogDuck

ChickenDogDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Or~e~gun
    Quote:Out here on the ranch, Grandpa Bill would just say, [​IMG] "What dogs?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by