Keeping My Ducks Safe

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ColleenRyan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ColleenRyan

ColleenRyan Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    hey guys!! My 6 little duckies that hatched this summer are outside in a run that my fiancé and I reinforced. They have a hutch inside the run that they go in every night at dark. I have a hunting camera in my yard and I checked the card today and it picked up numerous sightings of cats in my yard that aren’t mine (my two cats live inside) and it also picked up an opossum. When I was in their run earlier feeding them I noticed there was a tear in the hardware cloth wiring we use as a roof (before winter we’re going to get “green house” roof panels to install as a more sturdy roof so they don’t get snowed on. I’m going to attach a photo of their run and of the tear. If anyone has any idea what animal could have torn the wire please let me know! Unfortunately the camera had moved and wasn’t pointed at the run directly so I couldn’t pick anything up. Today I moved the camera and secured it better so that wouldn’t happen again. I just want to ensure that my ducks stay completely safe and live long and happy lives.

Attached Files:

2. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    The only thing with sharp claws that would cut that would be opossum or raccoon. I would put another layer of hardware cloth over that and keep watching that camera!

Celeste Cannon likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Could have been there and you missed it or it was something very large and powerful to rip that hardware wire open. I don’t think a opossum or even a raccoon could do that. I’d def get those green house roof panels on

4. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Maybe something rubbed against it and broke it. I have hardware cloth and I don't think an animal could rip trough mine...is your thin?

Miss Lydia and CrystaBub like this.
  5. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Mother Duck to Jabby, Gabby, Abby and Dabby

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Yeah that’s scary - hardware cloth is tough stuff. Yikes - now I’m curious too! Keep us posted.

Miss Lydia and happy duck like this.
  6. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    maybe a tree branch did that. You most likely would see it laying there though. Keep using your secure house in the run, that's that I do.

happy duck and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Where do you live? It would have to be something strong - no cat is going to do that unless it is a bobcat (maybe) or some feline much larger than that.
    If there was a weak spot, a possum may have been able to break through. But, obviously your hw cloth is strong enough to withstand something standing on it while ripping through it.
    Any storms passing through lately?

happy duck and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: