Kids & phones......how late is too late?

Guess I'm just contrary; we never restricted the kid’s cell phone use. Teenager’s life revolves around the phone these days. After the Kids suffered from some of their late night antics and our laughing at them, they learned self restrain on their own. They are grown up now with good jobs and relationships, so I guess the no discipline/ no curfew with all the hunting and fishing I could throw in worked for us. I never spanked or restricted our kids--only supported them for things I agreed with and pointed out the society consequences for stupid behavior--the choice was theirs.

My kids are not able to use their phones after 8:30pm on school nights or between 8am and 3pm which is during school. Verizon has some cool features where you can restrict their hours and even the content of their text messages. I use it, but still check their phones regually to see what they are up to. They know it and have lost their phones for bad behavior.

We are actually having a problem with one little girl and I had to block her number, her mom's number and her dads number because she can't decide if she really is friends with my daughter. When she decided she didn't like my daughter she called and sent texts all the time and would say and send such mean things, so I blocked her number. When her mom was informed of her bad behavior she did nothing about it. So, last night she called our home phone, 3 times. Not sure what the punishment for that will be but I have told the kids not to just hand it out to people. Our number is unlisted...

I say be strict and teach them guidelines.

Quote:
The Chief is a good friend of mine, and she did not get into much trouble. She did finally get her phone taken away. The kids parents were going through a REALLY BAD divorce, and she was a maniac throughout the ordeal. This kid is now 14 and pregnant and I heard she was asking around school how to "do her own abortion"...the parents have destroyed her by pitting her against the other parent. She is SUCH a bad child! I STILL pray for that kid! That was a few years ago now. It is sad how many are left to their own devices at such a young age!!! I think it just goes to show that phones and other media are being used as babysitters to entertain kids so that parents don't have to deal with them in some cases. PLEASE, those who give your kids phones....be CAREFUL, and KEEP knowing what they are doing, and who they are friends with, and KEEP them close!!! I am so glad to see parents that are still involved and not completely disconnected from their kids like this young girls parents!!! Teens are so difficult, but they need you more now than when they were in diapers! It may seem mean to the kids now to be so strict, but it is true love, so keep it up! Kudos to all of you other 'mean moms' who take the time to raise them right whether they like it or not!!!
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
The Chief is a good friend of mine, and she did not get into much trouble. She did finally get her phone taken away. The kids parents were going through a REALLY BAD divorce, and she was a maniac throughout the ordeal. This kid is now 14 and pregnant and I heard she was asking around school how to "do her own abortion"...the parents have destroyed her by pitting her against the other parent. She is SUCH a bad child! I STILL pray for that kid! That was a few years ago now. It is sad how many are left to their own devices at such a young age!!! I think it just goes to show that phones and other media are being used as babysitters to entertain kids so that parents don't have to deal with them in some cases. PLEASE, those who give your kids phones....be CAREFUL, and KEEP knowing what they are doing, and who they are friends with, and KEEP them close!!! I am so glad to see parents that are still involved and not completely disconnected from their kids like this young girls parents!!! Teens are so difficult, but they need you more now than when they were in diapers! It may seem mean to the kids now to be so strict, but it is true love, so keep it up! Kudos to all of you other 'mean moms' who take the time to raise them right whether they like it or not!!!
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

thanks for reminding us we are not just a bunch of mean old hens

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

thanks for reminding us we are not just a bunch of mean old hens

Most "old hens" are only mean when they are protecting their babies
wink.png
I know I am. The kiddos will understand one day
smile.png

Absolute latest my daughter is allowed to use her cell phone is 9 pm on school days, 10 pm on weekends.
Unless her chores/homework etc. isnt done, then no cell phone use at all until it IS done.

When mine where little no calls after 8pm. They where all in bed for 8:30. My three older sons worked in the summer shrimping with their uncle. They had to get up around 4am so I had no trouble with them going to bed. Two ended up going to junior college one to UTI. They all decided they did not want to make a living fishing. lol

Quote:
This doesn't work with the oldest here. He'll stay up late then tell me that is not why he's tired the next day. He drinks My Dew before bed, then can't sleep and the next day when he says "I couldn't sleep last night" and I remind him of the caffine/sugar he says that can't be it. No matter what happens, it is never a direct result of something he chose to do. DH seems to think that as long as he gets good grads nothing else matters.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom