knot on cheek under eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weirdmuse, Apr 11, 2009.

1. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I have two hens with a large knot under their eye at the corner of their mouth. It's on the left side of one and the right side of the other. the knot is fairly large (about the size of a pea) but is not seeping and does not appear to be causing the chickens any problems in feeding or drinking. Any ideas? Preventions / cures?

2. weirdmuse

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    the knot on one of the chickens is now the size of a small marble. It's located between the corner of it's mouth and it's eye. Any ideas?

3. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    not sure where you live but is it possible that it is a tick and could you post picture

4. weirdmuse

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    [​IMG]

Here's as clear a photo as I could take. From this side view you can see it's not a tick but this knot sticks out about a half inch from her cheek.

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Great picture.

No idea! If you lance it the others will peck at it and may make it worse. Maybe sit tight and see what it does? Interesting that you have 2 chickens with the same thing.

6. weirdmuse

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    it doesn't appear to be inhibiting their abilities to eat or drink. Should I give an antibiotic? Any thougts on this would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by