Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Lots of legal issues if he tries... the ownership/estate/farm businesses all all held jointly in a limited partnership by 4 parties... Family Drama FFS! When my family starts to look good and reasonable, that’s when I knew there were some big issues.
Old saying - You pay for that view. In your case its the bs you have to deal with :( big hug (sorry have not mastered the animated emojis - so jealous LOL)

Okay I can see most of your list but Newfoundland is quite bleak, foggy and rocky. That said, the people were really awesome. I would say go to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, but then you would think you were back home LOL.. except they don't have the big trees :(

And that’s excatly why I need to go there... 😆 I’m 1/2 Scottish and 1/2 Newfie ;) And that was exactly what my Grandfather used to say about it, so no offense taken at all! Though you missed out cold, miserable, and damp... He was born on Cape Island, in 1922, and his Grandfather (or great Grandfather?) was one of the original settlers there. Random Passage (the book and Canadian TV movie series) was written by a third cousin of mine, and is loosely based on his family’s history. Think a Canadian version of “little house in the prairie” but way more depressing and set in Newfoundland. My paternal grandmother was a city girl from St John’s. My Maternal Grandfather and Grandmother were Scottish and immigrated to Canada in 1957, after a brief stay in New Zealand, also by sea, a voyage which my mother, born in 195, remembers very little of. Grandmother was a MacGillivray and her Husband a McLean (my Uncle’s father, but not my mother‘s, who we believe to have died in the War)

And that’s excatly why I need to go there... 😆 I’m 1/2 Scottish and 1/2 Newfie ;) And that was exactly what my Grandfather used to say about it, so no offense taken at all! Though you missed out cold, miserable, and damp... He was born on Cape Island, in 1922, and his Grandfather (or great Grandfather?) was one of the original settlers there. Random Passage (the book and Canadian TV movie series) was written by a third cousin of mine, and is loosely based on his family’s history. Think a Canadian version of “little house in the prairie” but way more depressing and set in Newfoundland. My paternal grandmother was a city girl from St John’s. My Maternal Grandfather and Grandmother were Scottish and immigrated to Canada in 1957, after a brief stay in New Zealand, also by sea, a voyage which my mother, born in 195, remembers very little of. Grandmother was a MacGillivray and her Husband a McLean (my Uncle’s father, but not my mother‘s, who we believe to have died in the War)
My Great Grand father was a newfie :) and Captain on one of the ships that laid one of the Atlantic Phone cables and my mom and her folks are from Cape Breton. LOL We could be cousins.

My Great Grand father was a newfie :) and Captain on one of the ships that laid one of the Atlantic Phone cables and my mom and her folks are from Cape Breton. LOL We could be cousins.
I went to Newfoundland to visit the University there. The ferry back was 18 hrs long and reminded me of the Movie the Perfect Storm. Even the crew were sick. Huge waves. Was still sea sick two days after I got off the boat.

Old saying - You pay for that view. In your case its the bs you have to deal with :( big hug (sorry have not mastered the animated emojis - so jealous LOL)
Very true, I console myself with the view and the chickens... as I sadly am no longer getting my cow hugs (though I do sneak in the occasional butt scritch, they are missing their brushing and cuddles, I can tell by the moo’s). There’s also the fact that although we may have sunk all our resources into this (perhaps misguided?) venture, worst case scenario, I am an only child. My father still has his house, so I have that potential fall back eventually. And DH has a trade he can take many places, add in my retail management experience... we aren’t completely without options or backup plans, they just involve fewer Chickens, which would be sad

Quite possible... my Grandfather had 14 siblings, my Grandmother 12, and I believe it wasn’t that far off those sorts of numbers in their parents generation either. I’m most likely related loosely to most of the Bonavista Bay Area!
I went to Newfoundland to visit the University there. The ferry back was 18 hrs long and reminded me of the Movie the Perfect Storm. Even the crew were sick. Huge waves. Was still sea sick two days after I got off the boat.
I can’t swim to save my life... but I have fine sealegs and don’t get seasick at all. I am both terrified of, and in love with the ocean. Jaws, Killer Whales, and sea lions and seals, as well as that little sinking thing when I’m in it, is where the fears stem from. I also hate the cold... but want to visit Newfoundland when I can see the icebergs, go figure?

A not-so Hatching update

So, today was day seven on my incubation and I candled. I don’t know if it was the weather, Chickie Hawk not getting his spring hormones in, or something else entirely... but I only kept 10 of the eggs in the incubator, mostly from Mr Marans and a sapphire girl (I believe teensie or princess).
Only one of the seven eggs from the CX showed any signs of development. I think I’m going to have to change up my Rooster for them... just the size of both parties involved may be the trouble there.

Also, while candling I noticed that most of the girls shell quality has gone to poop. Horribly porous. I’m going to supplement with more Oyster shells, in addition to their high calcium layer feed. I popped the dozen “eating eggs” I had on hand for dropping off to the girls owner in the incubator, and will bring my backup eggs down and set them in tomorrow evening. It looks like I’m doing a staggered hatch for the first time!

Any thought on chilling the eggs before incubation and if that might have been the trouble? None froze, but it wasn’t exactly warm out the past three weeks.

And update on the lack of updates...

House is basically stalled again. And the Cuba countdown has begun! Just 5 or 6 more days until a full month of being FIL free. I gave him a dozen eggs yesterday and snooped a little at our final construction plans at the same time. Going to be collecting those and planning on taking back the build and commandeering tractor as soon as he is gone. Work at the other house is basically complete, I hope, and I think I might have a lunch date for Friday! Candling my eggs tonight around 7pm Pacific Time. We have a Sausage/egg Sale this afternoon, and will be picking up some gas with the proceeds. Andrew also has a job interview for a coordinator position for $400/month this afternoon, which would be great, so fingers crossed on that. He is also going for a D&D weekend starting Friday and returning Monday. And that’s what things look like for the next week
I hope all your cunning plans come to fruition Kris! Do you think the house can get to lock up stage in a month? :fl

Is the D&D weekend part of a campaign or a one off adventure? Either way, I hope Andrew has a good time and good luck with the interview!

I am secretly hoping he marries his friends sister and stays there... hopefully that doesn’t make me too bad a person, but she apparently likes him.
Seems like an ideal solution to me. He’s happy, you’re happy and some of the people in Cuba are happy.....for a while at least...;)

Back
Top Bottom