Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions @mixedUPturk @BlueBaby and @rjohns39 I think it is a little early to be hatching for me as well, temperature and weather wise. I’m going to order some more red ranger meat chicks as soon as we have the cash on hand for the feed and chicks. I think with the CX it’s Roostie missing the mark of the very large ladies, as most of the eggs I’ve cracked (for eating) of theirs haven’t looked promising. The Summer Markets start up in May, so I am hoping to have chicks in March so I can roll out my chicken earlier, and get staggered orders going on those for a more consistent product flow. And there is also an Easter market and possibly a BBQ completion before then (we are trying to make it a local oriented annual food event)

Very welcome! I went back and read *chilling* that must have been my confusion that everyone else picked up on, im sorry! Good luck with your early start, i get it, trust me! Down here the market and demand are yr round.

If i were tryn to get as many hatchings as possible as early as possible i might continue to set each wk like youve started, and then the ones who arent fertile you could pull out, hard boil and feed back to the birds. That way you are using the eggs but not feeding them to people, and it benifits your breeders, as well as youve given the eggs the chance to give you as many hatchlings as possible.

ETA but if you dont have a second incubator u might look into that before doing alot of staggering because it gets tough quickly which is why so many people are against it. Its not impossible just a pain in the butt.

@Kris5902 I agree with @mixedUPturk I did a bunch of split hatches last year, and a second incubator used for lock down come's in handy. I had to mark the egg's with the hatch date for each batch that I put in there to keep thing's straight. Keep the dates all together, don't mix them up, it's easiest that way. Then, I would move them into the second incubator for lock-down and hatch when it was time.

OMG I want to play Cards against humanity so bad!! Do you like it?
If you're playing with close friends it's awesome, SO much fun. But if you're playing with people who don't know each other well, it can get a little uncomfortable.

OMG I want to play Cards against humanity so bad!! Do you like it?
I’ve only played once or twice...
If you're playing with close friends it's awesome, SO much fun. But if you're playing with people who don't know each other well, it can get a little uncomfortable.
I’m usually good at making people uncomfortable all on my own! So add Cards into the mix pushes it into the obnoxious category fairly quickly

@Kris5902 Did your Barnevelder girl's lay huge egg's? I got an egg today that must be a double yolker because it is so big! I set it next to the biggest egg that I get from my NN's, and it is even bigger than that one is! I hope the pullet will be ok laying an egg that big. It would be like you or I trying to push out a watermelon!

@mixedUPturk and @BlueBaby I do have a second incubator, and I’m now very thankful for the 8 extra eggs that spurred the last minute purchase of it on the way home from the breeder! I plan on setting it up as you suggest, and with a week between hatches I should have ample time to clean it between batches

Yay! :woot :woot

Youll be hatching w me setting on fridays :D

They had a guy that's a member here @Compost King in the states before that was crossing the Red Ranger's with the Silver Grey Dorking's. Then he also crossed those offspring with some of the CX. I have one pullet here that I hatched from shipped egg's from him of a Red Ranger/Silver Grey Dorking/NN mix, but it has a fully feathered neck. My plan is to breed her with Roger my NN rooster later. She has 4 toes on one foot, and 5 on the other. I named her Five. @Compost King had moved, so I don't know if he has started another flock back up again or not.
LOL you could go Star Trek and call her 5 of 9 :)

Back
Top Bottom