Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

@Kris5902 Did your Barnevelder girl's lay huge egg's? I got an egg today that must be a double yolker because it is so big! I set it next to the biggest egg that I get from my NN's, and it is even bigger than that one is! I hope the pullet will be ok laying an egg that big. It would be like you or I trying to push out a watermelon!
Ouch! Poor thing... my Barnvelders laid medium sized eggs their first year, one on the large end of medium and one on the small end of medium. I don’t recall either laying any double yolkers, and they were about 2-4 eggs a week at peak laying. Waiting to see how their first adult year will go, as neither is laying regularly yet.

They had a guy that's a member here @Compost King in the states before that was crossing the Red Ranger's with the Silver Grey Dorking's. Then he also crossed those offspring with some of the CX. I have one pullet here that I hatched from shipped egg's from him of a Red Ranger/Silver Grey Dorking/NN mix, but it has a fully feathered neck. My plan is to breed her with Roger my NN rooster later. She has 4 toes on one foot, and 5 on the other. I named her Five. @Compost King had moved, so I don't know if he has started another flock back up again or not.

I’d Been wondering what was happening with his thread, but half afraid to check in and need to do a ton of catchup reading... I do hope he has moved his flock, or at least genetics and is still running chickens. It was one of my primary inspirations for my meat program (seeing as I can’t afford to ship in chicks constantly, or work with a true full heritage meat breed, there’s somewhatimited supply of good genetics for those in my area and they are pricy!)

I used to play DnD! My chracter was called Amafrey so I got her a tattoo that said Amafreyd of nothin' hehe she was a human, lawful good. Quite a fighter.

These days we play Pandemic or Cards against humanity.
OMG I want to play Cards against humanity so bad!! Do you like it?
LOL you could go Star Trek and call her 5 of 9 :)
No Borg in my coop, they will not be assimilated! :gig

Ack!!! Trekkies (or is Trekkers the more PC term? :p ) D&D nerds, and card players... however did we all end up on the same threads I wonder? And of course we are all clearly Chicken Addicts as well. Ok how many people here have done a big sci-fi con??? Fess up:lau DH and I bonded over our mutual nerdiness at work discussing DragonCon and here we are over 10 years later...

I was raised on Star Wars, Star Trek, and classic sci-fi/fantasy novels. How many 10-12 year olds read Herbert, Hubbard, Heinlein, Asimov, Lovecraft, and McCaffrey for a start. My very first book I read all on my own was David Eddings at 9-10 years old. I blame my mother 100%

Ack!!! Trekkies (or is Trekkers the more PC term? :p ) D&D nerds, and card players... however did we all end up on the same threads I wonder? And of course we are all clearly Chicken Addicts as well. Ok how many people here have done a big sci-fi con??? Fess up:lau DH and I bonded over our mutual nerdiness at work discussing DragonCon and here we are over 10 years later...

I was raised on Star Wars, Star Trek, and classic sci-fi/fantasy novels. How many 10-12 year olds read Herbert, Hubbard, Heinlein, Asimov, Lovecraft, and McCaffrey for a start. My very first book I read all on my own was David Eddings at 9-10 years old. I blame my mother 100%
Yes to Eddings, Heinlein, McCaffrey & definitely Guy Gavriel Kay then McKillip & Ursula leGuin. I've read Herbert some Hubbard :( unfortunately, & never got past Asimov's shorts. No idea who Lovecraft is. I lean more towards fantasy but I'm fussy about it: Garth Nix; Alan Garner; Susan Cooper ~ definitly.

No Borg in my coop, they will not be assimilated! :gig

:yuckyuck

Locutus would be a great name for a rooster! :gig
Picard-borg.png

Last edited:

While this does feel a little AA-ish, here we go.

My name is Bob and I love SciFi and have played D & D for entire weekends before.

I have attended 1 Star Trek convention where I saw Denise Crosby and the woman that played Savik in the 3rd movie.

While I have not played D & D in over 30 years, I still have all of my original books (I understand they can be quite valuable now) and my 30th level elven wizard, Mezloberranican. (I played a lot in my youth)

I cut my teeth growing up reading Azimov, Herbert, Heinlein, Lovecraft, and McCaffrey starting around age 9. I loved the magazines filled with short stories and used to use my allowance to buy them.

I am currently reading the Sevenfold Sword series by Jonathan Moeller in my spare time.

Right now I am excited to see if they can finally do justice to Dune with the new movie this December.

Wow, I feel lighter now having admitted it all. :gig

I got more into the deeper Fantasy like Guy Gavriel Kay a little later, in my pre and early teens. Patricia McKillip has a beautiful style and I started reading her in my late teens. Now I must add leGuin, Nix, Garner, and Cooper to my reading list. “Hunny, I think we need a bigger library...”

McCaffrey was always one of my favorites. I may go reread some now.

Back
Top Bottom