LADY Pumpkin?!

Thank you and everyone else! At least he's a well behaved little boy! Can't complain when my boys are getting along!
I have two cockerels that are getting along, one developed before the other, they have had their arguments here and there but I’m cautious about how many pullets/hens I have as their testosterone levels increase. I’m pretty sure it’s roughly 9 hens per rooster, that’s what I’ve seen people saying but don’t quote me on it :oops:

I have two cockerels that are getting along, one developed before the other, they have had their arguments here and there but I’m cautious about how many pullets/hens I have as their testosterone levels increase. I’m pretty sure it’s roughly 9 hens per rooster, that’s what I’ve seen people saying but don’t quote me on it :oops:
Chicken math has helped me amass 50 chickens... And are 6 roos/cockerels, taking into account that Pumpkin is a late-blooming boy and three are still babies.
One adult large roo (as old as my oldest hens) Two (previously thought to be one) cockerel under 5 months old. The last three came as a surprise hatch and are barely a month old.

In the future, I might re-home some of the little ones if it proves problematic.

Chicken math has helped me amass 50 chickens... And are 6 roos/cockerels, taking into account that Pumpkin is a late-blooming boy and three are still babies.
One adult large roo (as old as my oldest hens) Two (previously thought to be one) cockerel under 5 months old. The last three came as a surprise hatch and are barely a month old.

In the future, I might re-home some of the little ones if it proves problematic.
My goodness do I WISH I had the room for 50 chickens :eek: I don’t know how you do it, my 13 have been a handful.. Between starting with 7 chicks and getting 3 cockerels out of the group, it’s been hectic to say the least......chicken.....math.....-1 cockerel.....+7 chickens.....one of which turned out to be a cockerel...I’m still trying to rack my girl number back up.. so far everyone is in this respective groups and areas. The 2 out of my 3 current cockerels are like your Pumpkin and Adam funny that their names are Peter and Artie :lau

My goodness do I WISH I had the room for 50 chickens :eek: I don’t know how you do it, my 13 have been a handful.. Between starting with 7 chicks and getting 3 cockerels out of the group, it’s been hectic to say the least......chicken.....math.....-1 cockerel.....+7 chickens.....one of which turned out to be a cockerel...I’m still trying to rack my girl number back up.. so far everyone is in this respective groups and areas. The 2 out of my 3 current cockerels are like your Pumpkin and Adam funny that their names are Peter and Artie :lau
Consider yourself lucky to have those 13! More manageable (number and cost).
Not long ago (the beginning of this year), I had 11 chickens. My older girls have practically stopped laying and my Guinea fowl numbers had dwindled down to two, so I thought I'd repopulated.
I initially got 8 more chickens- manageable.
My significant other then went out to run errands and came back with... 18 babies!
I nearly panicked. I wasn't used to the large number. Then, sadly, they all died within a couple days due to some kind of sickness they had. I was heartbroken since I'd gotten my first silkie in that group.
The hatchery offered to replace them with healthy babies.
Then the Spitzhauben... for free ranging. I ordered and paid for 6 but they sent me 7.
Then I found the Polish peeps!
Then... my turkens (for the first time) hatched a few eggs! My girl had never been broody before, so I never thought it would happen!

Hard to keep track of the losses and gains, but I finally took count and arrive at 50! I thought I had 30!

Pumpkin and Adam.
Peter and Artie. That's funny!
What breeds do you have? If you'd care to share any stories, I'd like to read.

Back
Top Bottom