Lamenduck

Gpantucci9

Hatching
Aug 7, 2023
I inherited a duck so I don’t know how it was fed during her earlier days. She was severely overweight because she was kept in a small space. When I added her to my existing flock which has free range during the day, she had a hard time keeping up and waddling behind them and walked funny. I thought is was the weight. Now she’s lost the excess weight but you can tell she’s in pain and falls sideways. Sometimes she gives up after a few steps and plops herself down. I bought duck raising food with niacin in it.
- is it too late to correct this issue with supplements such as niacin?
- what can I give her to make her more comfortable and ease her pain?
Thank you!!!!

What breed is she? it could be she has had a niacin deficiency for a long time and whoever had her just didn't notice or care. But I'd def get her on some liquid B Complex 1 ml over a small amount of treat daily. I don't think it's too late, she may always have difficulty but she may not either so def worth trying to help her. Buying the feed you got is a good start but she needs extra help for now. here is info
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
While she is recouping keep her from trying to keep up since her legs are weak, and let her have water therapy at least daily that is one of the best ways for them to build up leg muscles that are weak. Just make sure she can get in and out safely. If your able you might want to put her where she would be safe but not overdoing and she can have maybe a few females as company?

Back
Top Bottom