Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I am sure this question has been answered several times by all you exsperts, but I am new to chickens. If I have a Blue Cochin Rooster and I breed it to Black Cochin Hens, will i get 50% Blue and 50% Black? Thanks

Unless they are carrying 'hidden' colors, then you are correct. Here's a chart: http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bbs-chart.jpg

By hidden, I mean the genetics to throw a different color. For example, my last roo had two Blue parents, but he came out very odd... black and red. It turns out his mother had a single hidden red feather and threw the different color! One would never know unless they examined her very closely indeed. The feather was layered such that it was not visible.

Unless they are carrying 'hidden' colors, then you are correct. Here's a chart: http://scratchcradle.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bbs-chart.jpg

By hidden, I mean the genetics to throw a different color. For example, my last roo had two Blue parents, but he came out very odd... black and red. It turns out his mother had a single hidden red feather and threw the different color! One would never know unless they examined her very closely indeed. The feather was layered such that it was not visible.
Thank you for the information. Wow, who would think one feather would make that much difference. But I guess if you don't know the genetics of their parents and grandparents, then there is always a possibility of getting an odd colored bird.

I found someone within 20 miles of me that raises standard cochin. A great little find because most have bantams and though they are cute I really love the standards.
Anyway, hubby and I went for a visit and the couple showed us around all their chickens, they are a lovely couple. His name is McGrumpy I found him on facebook. One of the blue cochin's he has is named Britches a huge blue cochin. It is the first time I have ever seen a fully grown standard cochin and let me tell you I was surprised at the size of them! I knew they would be bigger then regular chickens but oh my gosh I never expected almost turkey size. I know turkeys are bigger but he really was a big boy and beautiful.
His wife Gale shared the home brew for keeping the chickens healthy and Grumpy gave me tips on feeding. It's great to find wonderful people like them to help us newbies out. He gave me a great deal on three birds. I came home with a blue cochin male, and 2 splash cochin females. He explained to me a bit more of the genetics and what I should expect from the eggs. Honestly they are such a sweet couple and I am glad we were able to spend some time with them today.
I am so loving all the cochin I have from the hatchery and the new ones I got today. I can't wait to see what I'm going to hatch out next spring!
yippiechickie.gif

I found someone within 20 miles of me that raises standard cochin. A great little find because most have bantams and though they are cute I really love the standards.
Anyway, hubby and I went for a visit and the couple showed us around all their chickens, they are a lovely couple. His name is McGrumpy I found him on facebook. One of the blue cochin's he has is named Britches a huge blue cochin. It is the first time I have ever seen a fully grown standard cochin and let me tell you I was surprised at the size of them! I knew they would be bigger then regular chickens but oh my gosh I never expected almost turkey size. I know turkeys are bigger but he really was a big boy and beautiful.
His wife Gale shared the home brew for keeping the chickens healthy and Grumpy gave me tips on feeding. It's great to find wonderful people like them to help us newbies out. He gave me a great deal on three birds. I came home with a blue cochin male, and 2 splash cochin females. He explained to me a bit more of the genetics and what I should expect from the eggs. Honestly they are such a sweet couple and I am glad we were able to spend some time with them today.
I am so loving all the cochin I have from the hatchery and the new ones I got today. I can't wait to see what I'm going to hatch out next spring!
yippiechickie.gif
I agree with you, I just love the standard/Large Fowl Cochin, they are huge beautiful birds

I have a white, buff, and two partridge standard cochin hens that I purchased from McMurray Hatchery. They hatched on April 4th and are almost 4 months old. I understand they like to go broody. Is that immediately once they begin laying? I have two Mille Fleur d'Uccle roosters in my flock. If I give them fertile eggs from easter eggers to sit on will they crush them? I doubt the boys can fertilize the cochin girls eggs since they are going to be quite large and very heavily feathered. Any suggestions?

Help me choose please. :) I have promised a friends son he can have one of my black cochin boys. They are about 4 and a half months. I am keeping one, but can't decide which, and I'm not waiting for them to mature. If it's to early I understand, but could use help deciding. Thanks!

both

My blue roo that will also be used for breeding my black and blue girls. He is a permanent fixture to the flock. :)

Last edited:
Help me choose please. :) I have promised a friends son he can have one of my black cochin boys. They are about 4 and a half months. I am keeping one, but can't decide which, and I'm not waiting for them to mature. If it's to early I understand, but could use help deciding. Thanks!

both

My blue roo that will also be used for breeding my black and blue girls. He is a permanent fixture to the flock. :)

My choice would be # 2.

Hi everyone, my husband and I are new to chickens, and we are thinking about including a large fowl cochin in our flock. My question is - when I read that cochins are broody, how broody are we talking? (We can only have 6 chickens in our town, so we will not be breeding.)

I am new to this thread, and relatively new to the LF Cochin, but I love them and have decided to focus on them as my breed of choice. Most of my chicks this year turned out to be male. Now I have the difficult task of trying to pick a cockerel out of the bunch to keep. I already have a beautiful blue rooster, but I would like a second (and maybe third) rooster around. Any input on which one(s) I should keep would be much appreciated, based more on conformation then on color. Thanks!!

Just wanted to introduce my first large fowl Cochins. (There's one bantam in there.) I know it's not the best pic, but can anyone tell what colors they are? One looks barred, another partridge, two black. The final one may be partridge too, but it seems a little more silvery than the bantam one. I'm also guessing the one in front is a boy...just now 2 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom