Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
I'm guessing the Splash is but I'm unsure on the other. I've had a few pullets from this line trick me.
Thanks Jim...I'm sure enjoying these lovely birds from your hens. The colors are stunning and the personalities are matchless!
Really would like for the roo to be the Blue but will be happy with the Splash as well. I guess three and a half months is pushing it on determining the sex.

Quote:
I'd guess either of the splashes too but compared to the few I've gotten/seen they all look like pullets. Very lovely, I'd love to have some nice looking blues.
I'm really getting into the blues.
My Lavendar Cochin Roo and my Blue Cochin hen are throwing splash and dark navy offspring. There are three in a brooder right now. I'm really looking forward to seeing these mature.

I have a project pen developing Blue Columbian Wyandottes that is getting some really pretty birds.
And I have Blue Australorps.

Last edited:
I have 1 buff, 2 blues, one splash, and a multicolored LF cochin. I love them
wee.gif

Took pictures yesterday.
These babies are Blues and Blacks from Bo Garrett's eggs from his Blue pens. They hatched the end of April. The one in bck decided to dust bathe in the food cup. Feed was flying everywhere.

Had to post this one of Delilah. She is brooding a clutch of chicks and noticed the Cochin babies in the cage. One of her chicks, Curious George is up on the shelf left of the cage and then Spastic is flying on the floor. She is a very nurturing mom.

Hi all,

I have 12 LF Cochin chicks that I got a few months ago, and I posted pis of them on the breeds & genetics forum yesterday afternoon, but have not gotten any responses yet, perhaps because they're not bantams?
lau.gif
Or maybe because it's pic-heavy...
idunno.gif

I am hoping to get some honest critiques of their conformation, so I can make culling decisions soon. Here are some pics I put together, I combined the head/body shots into one pic for each chick. There are 6 Silver Laced and 6 Blue. I know some about vulture hock, and I know some of mine show hints of it, but they're only a few months old, and I don't know if it's something they ever outgrow. I also have some with poor feathering on the toes, but don't know if that might improve later on, either.

Edited to add: The blues all seem to have dark feet, and I know that's a no-no - is that difficult to breed out? Or should I just "scrap" the blues and re-home them?

I would like to get a good quality pair or trio out of each one. Any suggestions or criticism is appreciated.

I was told by the young man who I bought them from locally that they are from SQ stock, and a show-winning set of parents... but, of course, that may be a meaningless selling point.
hu.gif

I think I have 3 roos & 3 pullets from the blue to choose from, and 4 roos & 2 pullets in the silver-laced. My goal is to raise high-quality stock to sell eggs or chicks from
fl.gif
, and if these aren't the chicks I need for that, I want to find them good homes where they can be decorations. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have 12 LF Cochin chicks that I got a few months ago, and I posted pis of them on the breeds & genetics forum yesterday afternoon, but have not gotten any responses yet, perhaps because they're not bantams?
lau.gif
Or maybe because it's pic-heavy...
idunno.gif

I am hoping to get some honest critiques of their conformation, so I can make culling decisions soon. Here are some pics I put together, I combined the head/body shots into one pic for each chick. There are 6 Silver Laced and 6 Blue. I know some about vulture hock, and I know some of mine show hints of it, but they're only a few months old, and I don't know if it's something they ever outgrow. I also have some with poor feathering on the toes, but don't know if that might improve later on, either.

Edited to add: The blues all seem to have dark feet, and I know that's a no-no - is that difficult to breed out? Or should I just "scrap" the blues and re-home them?

I would like to get a good quality pair or trio out of each one. Any suggestions or criticism is appreciated.

I was told by the young man who I bought them from locally that they are from SQ stock, and a show-winning set of parents... but, of course, that may be a meaningless selling point.
hu.gif

I think I have 3 roos & 3 pullets from the blue to choose from, and 4 roos & 2 pullets in the silver-laced. My goal is to raise high-quality stock to sell eggs or chicks from
fl.gif
, and if these aren't the chicks I need for that, I want to find them good homes where they can be decorations. Any help is appreciated.
Blues: If they have red in the hackles like a couple of your cockerels are showing, they aren't Blues. There's something else in there. A couple of the pullets appear to have decent lacing, but they all seem to lack feather mass which should be evident even on chicks that age. The Dark feet issue isn't something I'd deal with if you had other options. They should have yellow/dusky yellow feet/legs.
Silver Laced: Again, too sparsely feathered, not enough feather mass. the pullet in the bottom right photo looks like she will be pretty nicely laced.
General comments: vulture hocks won't get any better. Some of the varieties tend to be a bit more hocky than others. When I say hocky, I mean they tend to have stiffer hock feathers than other varieties. The varieties that shouldn't have an issue with stiff hock feathers are: Black, White, Buff, Blue. They have been bred to the degree that there is plenty of top quality stock out there. Anything that you find in those varieties with stiff hock feathers is not Show/Breeder quality stock. The patterned varieties seem a bit more prone to stiff hock feathers: Silver Laced, Golden Laced, Partridge. Ultimately you want nice soft hock feathers, but sometimes you have to work with what's available and breed out the faults. Vulture hocks are something to avoid if you can.
Sparse toe feathering won't get any better. Bare middle toe in a Cochin is a Disqualification. I'll try to take some photos of similar aged Blacks so you can get an idea of what you can expect to see in Large fowl Cochins that age.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information cochinman! For those of us still learning and it helps a lot to see pictures and honest critiques.

Here is a picture of a 10 week old LF blue pullet. She also had dark feet. Nightowl's look like entirely different birds, is that common? Will they ever grow into cochin type roundness, or is that based on how fluffy they are when young?

Last edited:
Thanks for that information cochinman! For those of us still learning and it helps a lot to see pictures and honest critiques.

Here is a picture of a 10 week old LF blue pullet. She also had dark feet. Nightowl's look like entirely different birds, is that common? Will they ever grow into cochin type roundness, or is that based on how fluffy they are when young?
Good feather mass for a chick that age. Pretty consistent with what you'd expect a pullet to look like at that age. I'd like to see lacing, but Blue is a tough color to get the lacing correct with. Some of the varieties are slow feathering and can be very misleading as to their future potential. I raise Large Barreds and Partridge and they are very slow feathering and stay pretty awful looking until they are much older. I'll take some pics of the different varieties to give you an idea. What color is the bottoms of your Blue pullet's feet?

Cochins International is happy to announce that the Maryland State Poultry Fanciers Association will host our 2012 Eastern National Meet in Frederick, Maryland, November 3rd and 4th, 2012. The show will be held at the Great Frederick Fair Fairgrounds. Coop-in will be available Friday, November 2nd after 4PM. Cochins will be single decked as space permits.
Maryland does require both Pullorum Typhoid and Avian Influenza testing. The AI testing has to be done within 30 days of the show or proof of participation in your state's AI Clean Program can be provided by the exhibitor and the MSPFA will accept that.
Watch for further information and updates regarding the selection of a judge, lodging information, and the cash prizes and awards.

Cochins International is also pleased to announce that the Pacific Poultry Breeders Association will host our 2013 Western National Meet in Stockton, California, January 26th and 27th, 2013. Please watch your Newsletters and the CI website for more information on the Western National.

Mark your calendars now!

www.cochinsint.com

Back
Top Bottom