Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
Have an egg that may or may not make it. It's trying to hatch but has gotten turned around, shrinkwrapped and I believe it's wing has been broken from a hen on accident. I'll try to help it hatch and then assess if it's something i can try and manage, but I'm not sure it will survive hatching at this point either

Have an egg that may or may not make it. It's trying to hatch but has gotten turned around, shrinkwrapped and I believe it's wing has been broken from a hen on accident. I'll try to help it hatch and then assess if it's something i can try and manage, but I'm not sure it will survive hatching at this point either
Welp, hatched just fine on his own. Apparently he just needed the egg to stop moving so he could pop out. Wing looks manageable, I thought originally that the bone had broken through the skin, but my mom thinks that it looks more like a growth that was scraped or sliced on the egg shell when his wing got stuck.

He'll get another short bit of rest in the incubator, they're all in the turner now so no soccer with the eggs. Then I'll try to give him to Mare or Cochin mama, who keeps stealing babies from Mare and Effie anyways

Second little cochin babies out of Cochin Mama. The ones from the Barred hen aren't as nice so I haven't gotten their toe pics
20230529_185550.jpg

@WallyG74 , check those toes!

Effie decided she didn't have enough babies and tried commandeering my bantam EEs nest :he

So I had to crawl under the coop and grab 4 of her babies, throw them in the broody coop, then grab her and the last baby, throw them in as well (so I had to literally worm my way out from under the coop with no hands), knock the bantam off the roof of the coop and then show her that the nest was empty again.

Looks like it's going to storm, so I went ahead and moved Cochin mama and her 4 in the coop as well, so hopefully all 3 get along okay until morning. I endednup giving her the newest chick, we'll see if he makes it through the night. If he does, I'll be spraying his wing to try and keep it cleaner and might snag a photo too.

Have 3 more broodies down at the barn, plus 4 of my remaining silkies all on their massive pile of eggsni forgot to pull. 3 Cornish bantams brooding too. The ones in the barn are all on very small nests though. My Java actually isn't on any eggs at all, just two golfballs I gave her after about 3 days of brooding on an empty nest. I'll probably just give her a chick or two from someone else's clutch that hatches.

Back
Top Bottom