Later hatch and by itself. Need advice.

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
Yesterday on day 17, 13 or the 19 eggs I have incubating hatched and were causing chaos for one egg that I could tell would take about 24 hours pip to zip. Today on day 18, I moved everyone else to the brooder and this 14th chick finally hatched without interruptions about 2 hours later.

The reason why I'm leaving it by itself in the incubator (besides it needing to dry off) is because two of its toes are bent on one foot whereas the other foot is bent inwards in a way that it's walking and running on the flat top of the foot. I assume it'll resolve itself in a day or two on the flat floor instead of the sort of uneven pine shaving floor of the brooder. If not, I can make little shoes to correct it. Everyone else have no issues with their toes or feet.

Incubation was a dry hatch and humidity was bumped up during lockdown 50-60%.

Do you believe it will resolve itself?

Also, since it's alone it's peeping its head off very loudly which I'm worried about it waking up my dad when he comes home from work to sleep. If I leave it in the dark, will it freak out more or will it be quiet? I left a nightlight on yesterday night for the 13 that hatched and they didn't peep because they had each other.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 24
Aww poor baby! He had a difficult hatch and it has messed up his feet. I don't know if it will get better - I haven't had any good luck at all trying to correct issues like this, but others HAVE. He should be quiet in the dark, as long as he's warm and dry. You could put a small mirror with him, and he'll think he's got company. Good luck and keep us posted, please!

Aww poor baby! He had a difficult hatch and it has messed up his feet. I don't know if it will get better - I haven't had any good luck at all trying to correct issues like this, but others HAVE. He should be quiet in the dark, as long as he's warm and dry. You could put a small mirror with him, and he'll think he's got company. Good luck and keep us posted, please!
A mirror! Why didn't I think of that? Unfortunately, the incubator is too low/small to fit my only handheld mirror so I positioned it right up against the glass to give it a reflection if it walks near. Thank you for the creative idea regardless if it works or not for this little one in particular lol.

Still peeping with the lights off so I turned on a nightlight near it. Hopefully that reduces its anxiety. Just hope my dad doesn't get awoken bc he's a light sleeper. Doesn't bother me however.

For such a tiny thing it sure got a nice pair of lungs!

I think the mirror worked! There was less chirping I think lol.

Also, the feet and toes straightened themselves out overnight and the little one is speedy! False alarm, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom