MotherCluckingHenHouse

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
I have been researching genetics of Lavender and Cuckoo for about 6 months now. I have finally started incubating and hatching eggs from my Cuckoo Orpington and now that the chicks are here I am not seeing any defined spots like I do on my legbar cross.

Backstory: My hen was bred from a cuckoo Orpington rooster over a lavender Orpington hen. She shows the cuckoo pattern in black but has lavender recessive genes.

I am breeding her to my Lavender Orpington rooster and noticed one that has a somewhat darker head. When I look up lavender cuckoo online I see the chicks have a white spot on their head. Is this just an issue because it is 1st generation? I know the head spot on this pairing would indicate a cockerel just don’t know what it should look like.

Any guidance from those who have gone this path to create Lavender Cuckoo Orpingtons?

My hen and rooster
02E7EC10-5209-4240-A497-E347B00B321F.jpeg
6FFA588A-391E-441E-B899-BAB85D0E07FA.jpeg
Chick on the far right hatched from her egg. This is the one I am questioning as suspected cockerel

Chick below hatched from her egg and appears solid so I’m thinking pullet with recessive cuckoo genes
41A7C147-55F7-43E8-A176-DB0DA1FB3C0C.jpeg
96B7E02E-4729-454D-8824-1367E528AD64.jpeg

I have been researching genetics of Lavender and Cuckoo for about 6 months now. I have finally started incubating and hatching eggs from my Cuckoo Orpington and now that the chicks are here I am not seeing any defined spots like I do on my legbar cross.

Backstory: My hen was bred from a cuckoo Orpington rooster over a lavender Orpington hen. She shows the cuckoo pattern in black but has lavender recessive genes.

I am breeding her to my Lavender Orpington rooster and noticed one that has a somewhat darker head. When I look up lavender cuckoo online I see the chicks have a white spot on their head. Is this just an issue because it is 1st generation? I know the head spot on this pairing would indicate a cockerel just don’t know what it should look like.

Any guidance from those who have gone this path to create Lavender Cuckoo Orpingtons?

My hen and rooster
View attachment 2620824View attachment 2620825Chick on the far right hatched from her egg. This is the one I am questioning as suspected cockerel

Chick below hatched from her egg and appears solid so I’m thinking pullet with recessive cuckoo genes
View attachment 2620826View attachment 2620827
Cuckoo isn’t recessive. It’s dominant. All your chicks pictured appear to be lavender, but I can’t tell yet if any of them have cuckoo.

So when a solid chick hatched from my cuckoo hen it will not produce any cuckoo offspring?
Not unless its bred to a rooster with barring.
Barring/cuckoo is sex linked. Females only have one gene so they either have barring and it shows or they don't and so of course its not there.
They receive their gene from their father and pass it to their sons.
So their mother is irrelevant and they're irrelevant to their daughters.
Males get two genes one from each parent. They could have no.barring genes and so they wouldn't pass barring to any offspring.
They can have two barring genes and pass one to all offspring. Or they can have one barring gene and one non barring gene. In that case it's a 50/50 chance which gene they pass on.

Not unless its bred to a rooster with barring.
Barring/cuckoo is sex linked. Females only have one gene so they either have barring and it shows or they don't and so of course its not there.
They receive their gene from their father and pass it to their sons.
So their mother is irrelevant and they're irrelevant to their daughters.
Males get two genes one from each parent. They could have no.barring genes and so they wouldn't pass barring to any offspring.
They can have two barring genes and pass one to all offspring. Or they can have one barring gene and one non barring gene. In that case it's a 50/50 chance which gene they pass on.
Ok that makes sense. Thank you for answering my question!! So as I understand... from here... I grow out a lavender cuckoo cockerel. Breed him to either my black split cuckoo and/or my lavender hens. From there I will get 100% lavender cuckoo from the cuckoo hen and 50/50 from the solid lavenders. Then look for spot and grow out cuckoos to sex them.

I have trouble follow some of what you're explaining.
It's gonna matter if your cockerel has one or two cuckoo genes.
I'll split it since one gene has nothing to do with the other.

Lavender.
Lavender to lavender 100% lavender offspring
Lavender to split to Lavender 50% lavender 50% split to Lavender
Split to split 25% lavender 50% split 25% no lavender gene

Cuckoo (DF = two barring genes SF = one barring gene)
DF male to cuckoo female 100% cuckoo offspring. All males DF
DF male to black female 100% cuckoo offspring. All males SF
SF male to cuckoo female 1/2 females cuckoo 1/2 black. 1/2 males SF 1/2 DF
SF male to black female 1/2 females cuckoo 1/2 black. 1/2 males SF 1/2 black
Black male to cuckoo female 100% females black. 100% males SF

I have trouble follow some of what you're explaining.
It's gonna matter if your cockerel has one or two cuckoo genes.
I'll split it since one gene has nothing to do with the other.

Lavender.
Lavender to lavender 100% lavender offspring
Lavender to split to Lavender 50% lavender 50% split to Lavender
Split to split 25% lavender 50% split 25% no lavender gene

Cuckoo (DF = two barring genes SF = one barring gene)
DF male to cuckoo female 100% cuckoo offspring. All males DF
DF male to black female 100% cuckoo offspring. All males SF
SF male to cuckoo female 1/2 females cuckoo 1/2 black. 1/2 males SF 1/2 DF
SF male to black female 1/2 females cuckoo 1/2 black. 1/2 males SF 1/2 black
Black male to cuckoo female 100% females black. 100% males SF
I got all of that, thank you! I guess I just thought the solid would still carry the cuckoo gene on to her offspring but now have learned it does not.
The original post was because I didn’t know what the spot should look like. White, dark, small, big? I have noticed on 3 of the chicks a small white dot now that they are a few days old.

Back
Top Bottom